Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 G.I. issue carbon suits >

G.I. issue carbon suits

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G.I. issue carbon suits

Old 03-20-2003, 12:30 PM

Default G.I. issue carbon suits

Has anyone used a millitary carbon suit? I bought one on e-bay and I was wondering if they work. Can they be reactivated in the drier like a scent-lok suit or are they basicaly disposeable?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: G.I. issue carbon suits

ncbowhunter, I made the mistake of buying one of the military suits from Sportsmens guide. What a waste of money. I ended up just throwing it away. I now own a Scentblocker Featherlite suit, a Scentblocker Ultralite suit and a Scentlok suit. There is no comparison between the military suit and the hunting ones. The military suit was so stiff, very noisy, there wasn' t a liner inside so the charcol was exposed and got all over you. I washed it with the special soap and it didn' t help at all. The only way that you could have drawn on game without spooking them is if you were lucky enough to have a deaf animal in front of you. I don' t know how they compare as far as scent suppression to the good suits, but as far as quality and usability, there is no comparison. I hope that maybe yours is better than the military one I bought. You can' t go wrong with the others go. I will never hunt without them again. good luck.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:53 PM

ncbowhunter,
actually i own one and i really enjoy using mine. although i had 2 modify it a bit...it as just as good as a scentblocker or scentlok. i shot my first doe w/ it and it still performs just as well as my scent lok. in fact, i like them so much that i decided to order 2 more. also i have my dad and my uncles hooked too. they aren' t really any that noisy but wut gets u is the velcro. the velcro and hood are wut i modified along with the cufflinks. other than that they are a very great suit and the camo is kinda decent but hey it works and now i have 2 deer 2 my credit using it. one doe and one buck, but no lie, i have deer walk under my stand undetected while i' m wearing it. while the suit is no complete answer to being scent free, if u wash and keep clean and keep your equipment and clothes scent to a minimum and hunt downwind, you' ll be alright, its not gonna work if u don' t practice scent control, lets just put it as just another plus on your side but not a sure fire way for you to go undetected. Hope this helps, if you have ne questions email me!! Jim
Old 03-21-2003, 06:45 AM

I wore one while in the military and didn' t have an advantage of being fleet of foot - or very quiet. Therefore, I wouldn' t recommend one while hunting - unless from a treestand, then I' m assuming it wouldn' t be that big of deal. I spot and stalk so it' d be a pain for me.

Also - those things are HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2003, 03:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-22-2003, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I' m currently in the military and last season I got a couple suits from the training locker and used them during the season. Before I used them I put them in the dryer to re-activate them. Mistake: from all of the charcoal that was left inside the dryer, I cant imagine there was anything left in the suit. But I wore it anyway. It is made for one size fits most so it is not comfortable. Its not all that noisy but it is a little heavy and bulky. Overall I didnt think the discomfort from wearing it, and my confidence in it' s performance (after the dryer experience) could justify using it again. I' m still looking for scentlok/scent blocker clothing.

Cargo
Old 03-22-2003, 06:26 AM

Just curious, why do soldiers need scent lock suits?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Shadowace,
they' re not scent lock suits, they are chemical warfare suits. The activated charcoal is used to absorb chemical agents to protect you in that environment. Just so happens that it' s the same activated charcoal everyone' s using in their scent-lok suits.

Cargo
Old 03-22-2003, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the information. I opened the package and put my arm in the jacket, when I pulled out my arm it was black. I think I' ll save it until I put up my stand. Then I' ll Stuff it with straw and put it in the stand. If the deer notice it maybe they won' t notice me when I take its place.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

I own one, and a Scent Blocker Plus Fleece, if you do get a Military one, DO NOT GET THE US suit.. I have the Britt. issuded suit, it only comes in Olive drap and has the same type of liner as my Scent Blocker does. The US suit I got years ago did not have a liner and did make everything it came in contack with black. The liner in the Britt. issued suit did not, infact you could not even see the charcoal, it was between the liner and the outer material, I loved it when it was cold, it sure is a hot suit. The Sportsmans Guide often carries both the Britt. and the US suits for around $10. The US suit I never even use, it was stiff and noisey but the other was cotton, not a poly material.

Actuall go to their site and do a search for Chemical Suit. they should have both, if not keep checking back, usually in the description it will say if it has the liner or not.