Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Binos question..... >

Binos question.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Binos question.....

Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Binos question.....

Most all the spots I hunt are sothick, I can't seepast 50 yards or even get a shot past 20 yards.

I douse then shed hunting, saves me alot of walking.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Best $200 "going out of buisness, reduced!" money I ever spent
Old 10-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do take them with me bow hunting, just not often enough. The only thing I hate about bringing them with Is "where do I hang these or put these". Reason being- I don't like to move, I like things In reach. I don't want them hanging around my neck either, drives me nuts. I'm not a fan of bringing a day pack In the woods with me, just another thing to give away scent.

What I normally do Is put them In my pants pocket, there small enough but I hate the feeling of them against my leg. I'm too picky some times.[8D]
Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own several pair and very seldom take them to the stand with me. More of a weight issue than anything else. Most of my stands are set up in thick bedding areas, I don't need them often.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel absolutely naked without them in a treestand........I mean just completely lost.
I use them for everything from scanning for approaching animals, to checking quality of animals , to looking at other wildlife, to evaluating hit game as it runs offor even an arrow on the ground. I use them the whole time while trailing shot animals too.
They are EASILY and I mean EASILY the most used piece of equipment I have.

I've forgotten them once or twice on stand and was beside myself without them.

Once you have a really good pair on a harness on your body you start to realize just how much you really do use them.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I do take them with me bow hunting, just not often enough. The only thing I hate about bringing them with Is "where do I hang these or put these". Reason being- I don't like to move, I like things In reach. I don't want them hanging around my neck either, drives me nuts. I'm not a fan of bringing a day pack In the woods with me, just another thing to give away scent.

What I normally do Is put them In my pants pocket, there small enough but I hate the feeling of them against my leg. I'm too picky some times.[8D]
get the crooked creek harness, they invented it for your dillema schultz. I think they are 20 bucks, but are a dream for wearin binocs, the times that i do.

I agree with your points, they cant be a hinderance...but a neccessity? Idk. Ill likely wear em on every trip out once I snag a decent set, but i dont think they could be that much help in a woods setting. I can tell at first glimpse whether a buck is a shooter or not, well maybe not by this year's standards, if it is even close i will stand early like you said.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use them often. Whether it's to get a better look at a buck at a distance, positive ID, count points, watch birds, low light situations, check on other hunters moving through my woods, whatever. I'm just not pleased with my latest pair: Luepold Mesa sub compacts - the optics are just too small to gather light and I can see better with my naked eye the last 30min of light. I'm thinking about some Nikon Monarchs 10x32, or Leupold equivalents, when I get the money.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking about some Nikon Monarchs 10x32, or Leupold equivalents, when I get the money.
Don't waste your money.........the objectives are just too small to transmit enough light. ESPECIALLY in a 10X32. You won't see CRAP in low light, trust me.

The perfect whitetail binos IMO are a full sized roof prism pair, with 42-43mm objectives in an 8X.
If you get a good pair with phase corrected prisms and good fully coated optics they will allow you to see things in low light that you would NO PRAYER of seeing with the naked eye and with a nice wide field of view.

If you're going with Monarchs don't waste your money on small objectives.......get the 42's and put em on a harness.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:47 PM

I just got a set of Vortex binos (thanks to Matt / PA's suggestion..thanks again) and now I realize how much they matter. I think most people don't understand the importance of them until they have a good quality pair. That can make a WORLD of difference.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I feel absolutely naked without them in a treestand........I mean just completely lost.
I use them for everything from scanning for approaching animals, to checking quality of animals , to looking at other wildlife, to evaluating hit game as it runs offor even an arrow on the ground. I use them the whole time while trailing shot animals too.
They are EASILY and I mean EASILY the most used piece of equipment I have.

I've forgotten them once or twice on stand and was beside myself without them.

Once you have a really good pair on a harness on your body you start to realize just how much you really do use them.
Exactly.

I cannot fathom bowhunters who do not take binos. I cannot tell ya'll how many times I spotted bucks while glassing, moving through that I would have never have seen otherwise. Yes they were out of range and a few grunts later, on the ground. Success because of binos. Or if you catch a flint of movement but not the whole deer, ever wonder what it was? Buck or doe? I want to know, I don't want to sit there guessing. I've already mentioned how priceless they are after the shot. I've glassed animals bedding down after being hit that I wouldn't have otherwise seen as well.

Schultzy, I wear my binos over one shoulder on a long strap. They hang to my waste, no weight on my neck nor shoulders. I wear my range finder on a Crooked Horn Outfitters bino strap on my chest. Both are very hand and used hard.

I have them on here shooting Matt's Black Widow.

Quick Reply: Binos question.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.