Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"? >

What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

I would guess 2 1/2, MAYBE 3 1/2

He had no injury, no hurt legs, no tumors, nothing wrong with him.

Like I said, he hung around last year and looked the same on his right side. His left side last year was forked off. So one side improved, the other didn't
Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, I think the term "cull buck" is crap and nothing more than execuse to shoot a young (small) buck. Let's say a guy shoot a 2 1/2 year 7 point and says that the deer would never of been more than a 7 pointer. Well that may be true, but he will had lenght and mass, so his score will increase. Then you have people who "cull" deer in an attempt to keep only the "good" genes. I don't know about everyone else, but I think you would have shoot a whole bunch of deer to really effect the gene pool of the heard. So again, I think it is pretty much a crap term.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Cull? Or not??

Same deer......

Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

A "cull" buck is usually one that suffers from major "ground shrinkage" from what thethe hunter thought he was shooting at as approaches the dead animal. Therefore, a good story is concocted to justify his actions and why this deer was needed to be taken.

On a serious note, I am not smart enough to determine what has reached its potential or not or even 100% sure the age of one on the hoof.

I do KNOW however, that it is IMPOSSIBLE for a 1.5 to become a 3.5 next year, but the 2.5 that is passed this year will most DEFINITELY be a 3.5 yo next year. If you believe as you stated that any 3.5 yo is a trophy, then you would fall into my line of thinking in not taking any deer thought to 2.5 yo bucks.

But back to culling and aging. Here is two pics of young deer that I saw this past weekend. The first one's body is HUGE compared to the other young bucks I saw, yet his rack is less than most. Is it possible that he is a 2.5yo with little potential? A 2.5yo whose potential cannot yet be determined? Or is he just a a big bodied 1.5yo?

I also included a pic of the smalles bodied buck I saw this weekend for comparison purposes.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im sure Rob would be considered a cull to some and still may this year.... You be the judge: And this is not the only deer that has had these characteristics, A 13 pnt 160" was shot in .... 04-05(?) and it is on video, he was with a 7 point just as listed below.

2007 @ 2.5 years old.

2008 @ 3.5 years old

Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess what guys... they get just as many of their genes from the doe! Who here shoots "cull" does b/c they are passing on bad rack genetics? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Fry? Fry?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly:

Cull Buck- a copp out, or an excuse.

edit to say I agree with Rybo. I should have read first[&:]
Old 09-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Guess what guys... they get just as many of their genes from the doe! Who here shoots "cull" does b/c they are passing on bad rack genetics? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Fry? Fry?
I Actually read in D&DH that 60% comes from the doe ....
Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess what guys... they get just as many of their genes from the doe! Who here shoots "cull" does b/c they are passing on bad rack genetics?
That's because it's not readily apparent what kind of genes the doe is throwing, as far as antlers are concerned or I'm sure the practice would take place. Since bucks do show their potential; deer managers try to control what they can see. Now that being said, I think the term has a place in deer management. I think there are some bucks at 4.5 years old and older that don't have the genetics that people, that are managing their land, want passed on. However, I do feel like the term is overused and is often used inappropriately.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

None of my Rob bucks have been cull bucks. I loved them and took them for their age and one cause it was my first and only birthday buck. Like my fellow PA brothers have said, aint no such thing as a cull buck in PA.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.