Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Decoy advice needed. >

Decoy advice needed.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Decoy advice needed.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Decoy advice needed.

My experience hunting with a decoy is very limited. Last season i went on a hunt with a friend of mine who had just got one of those high dollar moving decoys for Christmas. We placed it just on the edge of a cut corn field and had 3 does come in to it to investigate. We passed on the does in hopes of a buck but never saw one. I never personally used a decoy due to the fact that i didn't feel that my hunting grounds would be right for a decoy. I have always thought that you needed an open pasture in order for the decoy to be seen from a distance by other deer. This year i am hunting a new farm that is mainly open pastures and bean fields. The thick woods are on the neighboring properties and i feel like this would be a great time to maybe think about using a decoy.

So here are my questions to you decoy experts.

1) Can i get by with using my 3D McKenzie target?
2) Is a decoy best used in an open field?
3) Do i setup my decoy with or without antlers to attract a doe or vice versa?
4) Should i use some kind of deer scent on the decoy? Obviously not estrous urine at this time of year.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Decoy advice needed.

Well I certainly don't claim to be a expert, but after observing and listening I would say yes when they can see it from a distance is always better. I have saw a booner get taken on film over a old archery target so that shouldn't be a hugeproblem but not my preference.

Doe's will usually be real nervous about doe decoys and alot of times can spoil your hunt. However I have had 2 does different hunts come right into the decoy while not spooked but definetly curious although they came from up wind. If your going for bucks onlyI'd say a buck decoy would fit the bill.
A general rule I have read is buck decoywill attract bucks and a doe decoy will attract both.
And make sure the decoy is SCENT FREE very important or your hunt will be over very quickly. Rubber gloves then spray it down. I didn't use any scent but that may change as it gets closer to the rut.

Oh almost forgot a buck decoy should be angled or facing you. Bucks will approach usuallytowards the head and try to intimidate the intruder. Does I have seen most guys and myself angled or facing away.
And set up the decoy where you give yourself a shot if the deer hangs up 10 yards away from the decoy. Not uncommon. Or so I have read. lol

Good luck and let me know any experiences you have. I really am liking this decoy thing especially now like you am hunting land that I can utilize a decoy from a distance.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your tips Tribal. Right now i think that i will setup the decoy as a doe, so that i will have a chance at bringing in a doe or buck. Once i bag a doe or two i will then be on the hunt for the big boys exclusively.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Here are a couple of links, there are more out there. I found one last year that had great graphics of how to arrange your set up considering the wind. It also had a chart for the different stages of the season, with effective options for what type of decoy (doe or buck) to use.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/deer-decoy-tips.php

http://www.carrylitedecoys.com/tips.aspx
Old 09-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

dsttub, Yes a 3d target will work and has worked. I like to always have just 1 antler on my decoys the does don't seem so jumpy and the little bucks aren't so jumpy either. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!Walt