Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Corn is being cut..... Good or Bad? >

Corn is being cut..... Good or Bad?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Corn is being cut..... Good or Bad?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Corn is being cut..... Good or Bad?

The hay on my hunting property was cut last week, the Corn on the borders of my hunting property are being cut this week. So basically, most of the food sources are being removed from my hunting land, Happens every year. Season opens Sat. But, I wont be able to get out until Monday, Hopefully, Rob(buck) or somebody will still hang around on the very few oaks we have.

I dont have permission to hunt the cornfield, Ive tried, even talked to the people who lease it for corn jsut today, They couldnt even help me.[&:]So Im taking the hint.

Should I set up as close to the freshly cut cornfield as possible?I have a stand there already, but they would have to be COMING from thecornI dont have any access to catch them GOING to the corn.How do deer react to freshly cut corn? I know the crows love it.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn is being cut..... Good or Bad?

Deer will flock to freshly cut corn, just try to find a place to cut them off. That is how it has always been around here. I have seen some real slammers on the edge of my neighbors corn field when he cuts it. Not to far from normal bedding and plenty left on the ground.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gold mine
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

If you have woods near standing corn that's being cut, be in a tree in that woods. The deer that have spent the summer lounging in the corn will be on the move. And come nightfall they'll be coming back to the cornfields they came to love. You get a couple days of deer that wouldn't otherwise be moving on the move.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

You lucky dog Aaron!! A freshly cut corn field means more deer In your woods and not in the corn!!

Should I set up as close to the freshly cut cornfield as possible?I have a stand there already, but they would have to be COMING from the corn I dont have any access to catch them GOING to the corn.
Hunt the morning's catching them coming from the corn field to the woods to bed. Be careful and keep undetected when your walking In to hunt In the morning If you choose that route.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Money.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im working on a ariel for you guys.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

like the others said, its one less place for them to hide! my farmer ran out of corn to chop and had to chop the corn closest to my honey hole....thought id be upset when he told me...he left the field closest to the road so jacklighters dont have the opprotunity yet....so that was great...i was somewhat upset he didnt take the whole field....said he only made 3 passes...so he took...6 rows with his 2 row cutter. it gets downright frustrating when deer can basically LIVE in a corn field....perfer it to be gone...they still hit them hard at night...but daytime is out of the question in my area...and my honey hole functions as feed and a staging area...

i do have 1 cornfield to hunt that will be left standing...ive never hunted a standing cornfield edge...dont know if i'll butt against it or try to cut them off before they get to it...aughta be a good evening setup though...morning i dont think i'll risk till it gets picked...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a full ariel of where I hunt with my current stand locations, My hunting in the Red, Corn in the Yellow. Everything else is pretty much off limits.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Heres a full ariel of where I hunt with my current stand locations, My hunting in the Red, Corn in the Yellow. Everything else is pretty much off limits.

I'd be on that white dot furthest towards the corn.

Quick Reply: Corn is being cut..... Good or Bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.