Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is the worst thing that has happened >

What is the worst thing that has happened

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is the worst thing that has happened

Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is the worst thing that has happened

what is the worst thing that has ever happened to you while hunting?

Mine is shooting a deer (not making a very good shot on it) looked for it all night never found it went back out the next couple of days still with no results the fourth day i went out on a deer drive i walked up on it and half the body was eaten on it. it was a doe. and most of the meat was gone on it i felt horrible
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is the worst thing that has happened

Don't feel too horrible. As long as you put in the effort and learned from the experience. It sucks but the coyotes or whatever need to eat too. The same thing happened to me last year for the first time. I looked for several hours that night and all day the next day. Never did find it.

I've never had anything too terrible happen yet such as a fall or accident, but last year, the neighbor's dog did tear into a doe in the 30 minutes inbetween when I climbed down and went back to the house for my game cart. Lesson learned there. Don't dawdle in such a situation. Just get back there and get the deer before a coyote or neighbor dog digs in.

The other bad experiences have involved trespassers screwing up hunts. I usually have some fun by blowing grunt calls at them, though, and watching them stalk the phantom buck. lol. Good stuff.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forgetting my safety belt in the truck, and went up in my climber anyway, only to have the bottom fall to the ground while I was 20 ft up. Luck would have it, I was sitting on the rail when this happened.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

had one of the biggest eight points i've ever seen get away from me because i forgot to chamber a round in my rifle at the beginning of the hunt, and when i squeezed the trigger all i heard was a click. he ran away. [:@]
Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was 20, I came back from college around Thanksgiving. My mothers boss let me hunt on one of his properties. He led me out to the spot in the darkness. He told me to head out "there" to hunt and to not worry about anything because he and the adjoining land owners were cool. I walked into the woods for 20-30 minutes or so after the sun rose because I had never seen this property before and wanted to get a visual. I found an old ravine with some large rubs. So I set up shop on the ground, right inside a hollowed out old tree.

20 minutes after setting up, a group of does walked past me and blew my cover. They stomped and snorted for over 5 minutes, but I did not move an inch. They knew I was there but did not know exactly what I was. About 10 minutes later a beautiful 6 pointer walked by rubbing those trees! I shot him with my 12 gauge at about 40 yards. So I killed the buck 1 hour after sun-up.

As I began to drag the buck out of the woods, I realized I had no idea where I was....this was pre-cell phone days for me. I had no compass and very little water/food. I dragged that deer all day trying to find my way out. That buck was my biggest to date and I did not want to leave it anywhere out of my sight. I did not get out of the woods until the sun was setting. I was lost for over 9 hours, dragging a 130 pound deer around all day. I remember being so thirsty that I could not stand it. I drank water out of "cleanest" creeks I could find. I learned a big lesson that day.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Forgetting my treestand strap and missing out on a chance at a big buck because of it. [:@]
Old 09-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finding out how many fat grams are in a Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pie.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i would say missing twice last year. the worst was the 9 point at broadside not moving. perfect shot and i choked
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Cracked limb on the 6th morningof an expensive hunt with my backup bow tucked away safely at home 300 miles away.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM

ya know, usually when this sort of thread gets started it turns into hunters and their misadventures with having bowel movements in the woods. Some of the funniest things I've ever read! Like falling into your steaming pile, or not realizing your grunt tube fell into it then blowing on it later and finding out...messed up stuff like that.

Quick Reply: What is the worst thing that has happened

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.