Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 SUCCESS!!!!  My buddy got this little spike on his first ever archery hunt this morning!!! >

SUCCESS!!!! My buddy got this little spike on his first ever archery hunt this morning!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SUCCESS!!!! My buddy got this little spike on his first ever archery hunt this morning!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SUCCESS!!!! My buddy got this little spike on his first ever archery hunt this morning!!!

tell your buddy congrats. i can smell the venison cooking already
Old 09-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: SUCCESS!!!! My buddy got this little spike on his first ever archery hunt this morning!!!

awesome job. He'll never forget that one. How in the heck do you guys get so much meat offa small deer like that, i usually only get 30-40 off an adult??
Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every deer is a trophy man. congrats to you and your friend thats awesome.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fatsbucknut

awesome job. He'll never forget that one. How in the heck do you guys get so much meat offa small deer like that, i usually only get 30-40 off an adult??
Zach,
It really isn't as small as the pic appears he was a 130-140# deer probably and a 1.5yr old. We processed it right on the gate of my truck, and he uses every little bit of the deer, including ribs and flanks, but probably close to 25# came off of the hind quarters. I cut roasts off of the back of it that were almost too big to put in a gallon freezer bag, and I got 2 off of each quarter. I take out backstraps with my fingers ensuring I don't loose any of that tender delicacy, and we also skinned him up to his skull, and gut out all of the neck meat as well. It's possible, but you have to be meticulous we did loose the lower part of the shoulders and the neck near the brisket, worse on the left than the right.