Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is your experience?? >

what is your experience??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is your experience??

Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 PM

Default what is your experience??

with 3 blade Rage heads....and Muzzy Mx 4???
Old 09-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what is your experience??

Rage 3 blade...none

Muzzy MX4? For a head that is touted as one of the new inherently accurate short ferrule designs I wasn't impressed.
Those things gave me fits. Even out of a perfectly tuned bow unless I choked the crap out of them with at least 4" feathers and a hard helical they seemed to have a mind of their own. I thought I was losing my mind trying to group tune them but I've heard this consensus from too many people who know what they are doing to dismiss it.

I sat out back one night with about 8 different broadheads messing around testing flight etc and could whack any of the 7 together but when I would get to the MX4's it was spotty at best. I'd have 2 that would fly sort of in the middle, others left, right up down...and worse yet they never seemed to do the same thing twice.

They drove me nuts and I never did use them obviously.

Oddly enough the MX3's flew great...........go figure.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly what Matt said. You'll see people come on here and say they can get the MX-4's to fly great... and God bless 'em.

I know too many fellow Muzzy Pro Staffers who couldn't, including Jesse Morehead. If Jesse, Matt and I don't feel confident in how good they fly for us, I'm not using them. But like he said... the MX-3s are awesome; every once in a while preparing for my elk hunt, I'd shoot my MX-3s at the same spot from 60 yards out... I did it probably four times, and I think three of those times I had to refletch because I sheared off one of my feathers on the first shot. It was just pure luck that the head was turned the way it was and I didn't split the shaft all the way up.

(And did you like the way I threw Matt and me in there with Jesse Morehead? [8D]LOL)

I haven't heard any serious feedback on the Rage 3-blades since shortly after they came out; almost every single person I know who shoots Rages goes with the 2-blades... after seeing dozens and dozens of kill results with them -- including helping field-dress a HUGE cow elk that had been shot with one -- I see no other reason to look at anything else in their lineup.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

rage three blade killed a doe went 30 yards (lungs)
Old 09-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never shot the MX-4's but the MX-3's did some serious damage on the deer I shot last year.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:45 PM

well you heard it from the horses's mouth... Im considering shooting a Rage head this season along with the ST.... I know...a did an about face!! Anyway, I have shot the 3 blad rage practice blade.....and shot it well, does the 2 blade rage practice head fly any differently?? I will still have theST in my quiver and plan on shooting a deer with them, but I just don't seem them as being sturdy or durable... I have to say that after about 15 shots the blades loosen....I don't care for that. I also want to see the damage done by a rage, I can't help it it's awesome looking.... so....2 blade or 3 blade....remember, Im shooting 71# at 280 fps with a 360 gr arrow total with 100 gr head, is this enough KE??