Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand tip for those with lower back pain.... >

Treestand tip for those with lower back pain....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand tip for those with lower back pain....

Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Treestand tip for those with lower back pain....

jim---I love those heat wraps myself---on the lower back and kidneys...it really heats you up and makes you feel loose!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

jim---I love those heat wraps myself---on the lower back and kidneys...it really heats you up and makes you feel loose!
As light as they are I always keep a spare one in my pack ,elk hunting Wyoming or deer hunting here in PA you can't be sure when you might have to spend a night in the coldwoods.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Brett,

Not sure if I ever told you but I have two levels of my lower back fused with titanium rods and screws. This happened 10 years ao and the amount of pain killers I have been on for years ended in February when they implanted a catheter into my spinal chord dripping Dilaudid (above morphine) 24/7. I havelower pain problems alright. If my dr knew I was climbing trees and carrying a 30 pound sack on my back during season, he would have my ass!

I praise you for those little things people find to make it a little comfy, but I just rely on my Medtronic Pain infusion pump and Im feeling better, including a few percocet to make the loner days feel a bit better.

Nice invention. I bought the recliner chair for my favorite stand last year and it fits my rump fine for 3-4 hours, and then I will stand for a couple hours, and then sit back down.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM

I made my own seat for one of my stands this summer - doing essentially the same thing as you described. I had some old foam layin around so I traced out the shape of the seat and cut several layers of it out of the foam I had (an old target that the Shelty ripped apart). It was a little stiff as is, so I took the middle three layers and cut out the centers, basically leaving a one inch ring of material and placed those back into the middle of the other full layers. It felt great! I grabbed some double sided foam tape and stuck everything together. Made up a cover for it and strapped onto the stand's seat. What a huge improvement over the original POS that was on there. It didn't take me more than an hour to do everything and was definitely worth the time.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some great tips guys. I'm definitely going to try the car wash sponge idea. I've been using the heating pads for my back the last couple of years. Not only do they help with back pain, but they keep those kidneys warm and warm up your blood which is key for long sits in the cold. They don't help much in early season though.

I have to get back to my abdominal regiment again too. Another thing that is great for low back pain and takes about 30 seconds in the morning is to lay on your back, pull one leg up and twist at the torso toward the side of your body that is still on the floor. Keep that part flat and go to a 20 count on each side. This really loosens up a tight back before you head out for the day.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree stand tip for those with lower back pain....

good idea . i usually bring a camo cushion in my pack to put behind my back, it works OK but there is room for improvement
Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Default RE: Tree stand tip for those with lower back pain....

i have a cusion i was sent for free to field test, called a hunt comfort I think. Those puppies sell for like 60 bucks now, but since mine was free I love it....best cusion ive ever sat on.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Some thing that works great for me are thermal care heat wraps, they are cheap ,odorless & really work well. Those late season all day sits can be tough,but these wraps limit how much heavy clothing you need and make shooting a breeze.
Heres what others say.

Just as the manufacturer says, ThermaCare HeatWraps are activated when you open their hermetically sealed package. It takes about 1/2 hour for the wrap to fully warm up. The wrap is lightweight, odorless and can be worn very discreetly. Once the wrap is out of the package, just remove the adhesive, and place the adhesive side on your skin, in the area of your back you wish to relax. I suggest you pull the wrap fairly tight while placing it on your back. This will minimize any gaping between your skin and the wrap during ADL. Of course, getting the wrap afixed to the exact place(s) of tension on your back is key to getting good results!
Sounds like a man girdle?!!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya Wash, im just 19 and ive got 2 bulging discs in my lower back. The pain isnt enough to complain about yet, but it wont be too long. Like VS said, the chiro told me the best thing to do was get my abs into shape to pull everything back together, seems to work for me.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Some thing that works great for me are thermal care heat wraps, they are cheap ,odorless & really work well. Those late season all day sits can be tough,but these wraps limit how much heavy clothing you need and make shooting a breeze.
Heres what others say.

Just as the manufacturer says, ThermaCare HeatWraps are activated when you open their hermetically sealed package. It takes about 1/2 hour for the wrap to fully warm up. The wrap is lightweight, odorless and can be worn very discreetly. Once the wrap is out of the package, just remove the adhesive, and place the adhesive side on your skin, in the area of your back you wish to relax. I suggest you pull the wrap fairly tight while placing it on your back. This will minimize any gaping between your skin and the wrap during ADL. Of course, getting the wrap afixed to the exact place(s) of tension on your back is key to getting good results!
Sounds like a man girdle?!!
And I carry them in my man purse.[:-]

Quick Reply: Treestand tip for those with lower back pain....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.