Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 flashlights and walking in >

flashlights and walking in

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

flashlights and walking in

Old 09-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default flashlights and walking in

do you guys use a flash light when heading in at night right before sunrise.
If not how do you see where your going
Old 09-27-2008, 06:04 AM

Default RE: flashlights and walking in

I always do as trespassing is pretty common in MI. I don't want to get shot by a poacher because he thinks I'm a deer. So safety is the only reason. I could find my way to any of my stands without it. If you know the area well, I think it is pretty easy.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry one in the pack but never use it to walk in. I know the areas I hunt and I see better than a lot of people in the dark. If I do use a light walking in it is my Browning light with a red bulb.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don'tuse one at all going in to my regular spot, but there are a few spots where I use one so as not to step on twigs on the way. WhenI do use one it gets pointed directly down at my feet, never ahead of me.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

I try to limit the use. I can see pretty good in the dark. I usually can see the outline of a path from the moon light. I will turn a light on to see specific land marks as I am walking in aned then turn it off. I use a goodold fashion Mag light that I have had for years. I never take it out of my back pack because I've used it to get back to camp and track deer.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:52 AM

I rarely use one, but I do carry one for emergencies. I also carry a small red LED light that I use if I absolutely need to see something. The red light doesn't mess with my night vision as much after I turn the light off.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i have a condition cause by nerve damage from when i had cancer as a kid.
I see better when it is pitch black then if say i am driving at dark with a little light. It has to do with one of my pupils are smaller then the other and will not enlarge. when the smaller changes at night the larger one gets bigger no idea way just happens. i could not see enough to shoot something. but it helps walking and seeing at night.
In fact if there is a light such as a street light or lamp around i can not see crap. One reason i have lowered the amount of night driving i do.

ORIGINAL: racewayking

I carry one in the pack but never use it to walk in. I know the areas I hunt and I see better than a lot of people in the dark. If I do use a light walking in it is my Browning light with a red bulb.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i am on public land and would perfer not to walk on top a fellow hunter or a coyoty. i might see if i can get in there without a light this year. My main spot is a 300 yard walk through a field in a straight line then 50 yards straight to the right to the creek. so the stand is not hard to find
ORIGINAL: Vito1

I always do as trespassing is pretty common in MI. I don't want to get shot by a poacher because he thinks I'm a deer. So safety is the only reason. I could find my way to any of my stands without it. If you know the area well, I think it is pretty easy.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just about always use one. I just make sure it's a hand held and not a head lamp. I found with headlamps you are always looking around flashing the light thru the woods.I go thru some awful thick stuff to get to my stands and I go in when it's darker than my wifes heart with no tote roads or paths to lead the way. That sure would be nice though
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

thats what worrys me about headlamps i move my head around alot walking in
ORIGINAL: Planter

I just about always use one. I just make sure it's a hand held and not a head lamp. I found with headlamps you are always looking around flashing the light thru the woods.I go thru some awful thick stuff to get to my stands and I go in when it's darker than my wifes heart with no tote roads or paths to lead the way. That sure would be nice though

Quick Reply: flashlights and walking in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.