Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't be stupid (like me) >

Don't be stupid (like me)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't be stupid (like me)

Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Don't be stupid (like me)

So, I had a stand I wanted to pull down and move to another one of my farms. The opener is quickly coming, my free time is little to none. Desprate to get this stand moved, I decide to drive the 2 hours north Friday after work and pull the stand. I arrive at the farm 45 minutes after dark, jump on the 4-wheeler and start towards the stand. About half way there I burn the drive belt up, so now the 4-wheeler is down. I decide to walk the rest of the way, get the stand and worry about the 4-wheeler later. All by myself, no flash light and a good hour after dark. I climb up the tree, break the strap loose and that was it, down I go to the ground. A busted up ankle, ribs, a 13 stitches in my right hand. With all that, it could have been so much worse. I made so many stupid mistakes Friday night. I know I have pulled/hung 1000's of stands in my life, many I have done by myself. I took it for granted Friday night that pulling this stand would be a breeze and nothing would go wrong. What would I have done if I would have busted somthing up and not been able to walk? Nobody around, nobody knowing where I was at. It could have been real bad. I never used safety straps before, alway thought they would be in my way and screw up my hunt. Well, that thought has changed after taking that fall. Guys, pulling/hanging stands can be dangerous. Have a partner with you, use safety straps. Our sport has a certain amount of risks and I know I had been stupid in the past and took it for granted that everything would okay. Don't be stupid like me. If you are in a tree have a safety strap on. One 30' fall and your season could be over, hell your life could be over. Strap yourself in guys and be safe.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Don't be stupid (like me)

Did you break your ankle and ribs? ... praise God you are alive ...
Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

So, I had a stand I wanted to pull down and move to another one of my farms. The opener is quickly coming, my free time is little to none. Desprate to get this stand moved, I decide to drive the 2 hours north Friday after work and pull the stand. I arrive at the farm 45 minutes after dark, jump on the 4-wheeler and start towards the stand. About half way there I burn the drive belt up, so now the 4-wheeler is down. I decide to walk the rest of the way, get the stand and worry about the 4-wheeler later. All by myself, no flash light and a good hour after dark. I climb up the tree, break the strap loose and that was it, down I go to the ground. A busted up ankle, ribs, a 13 stitches in my right hand. With all that, it could have been so much worse. I made so many stupid mistakes Friday night. I know I have pulled/hung 1000's of stands in my life, many I have done by myself. I took it for granted Friday night that pulling this stand would be a breeze and nothing would go wrong. What would I have done if I would have busted somthing up and not been able to walk? Nobody around, nobody knowing where I was at. It could have been real bad. I never used safety straps before, alway thought they would be in my way and screw up my hunt. Well, that thought has changed after taking that fall. Guys, pulling/hanging stands can be dangerous. Have a partner with you, use safety straps. Our sport has a certain amount of risks and I know I had been stupid in the past and took it for granted that everything would okay. Don't be stupid like me. If you are in a tree have a safety strap on. One 30' fall and your season could be over, hell your life could be over. Strap yourself in guys and be safe.
Someone was looking out for you my friend! I thinkhe started out trying to get you not to go up in that tree at all.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you didn't get hurt more than you did. That is something for all ofus to think about this season, especially myself.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you made it out of there.....Man, guys be safe out there....I know when I was younger I toowould do some real crazy stuff and looking back any one of those events could have ended my hunting career....I want to hunt as long as I am physically able so I will be using all the safety equipment....
Old 09-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Glad you didn't get hurt more than you did. That is something for all ofus to think about this season, especially myself.
Jeff, when I first read your post I thought, what is he talking about ... he does it for a living .... then I thought, maybe it would be easier to take that for granted ...... have you ever used shoe spikes to climb to a stand?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

No PT, I just use my tree spikes for work only. I use my LWsit and climb for my other tree climbing.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

No PT, I just use my tree spikes for work only. I use my LWsit and climb for my other tree climbing.
I have thought about using those for treestands ........ I'm too skeered, tho
Old 09-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

PT, I have to come clean on this. Maybe it will keep me, and perhaps someone elsealive longer. The reason I said "especially me" in the end of that post was because I don't use my safety harness as often as I should. Which is ALWAYS! This does indeed come from me being overly confident because of the work I have donefor the last 30 years. My problem is I'm comfortable being high upin a tree. I'm 50ft-90ft up (always tied in) on any given day. So, 20ft seems like I'm on the ground.
They refer to this as false confidence, and I'm aware of it. I just need to change the way I think/rationalize about this issue.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:58 PM

don't use them Tony not in a tree the bark could peel away and down you go

Quick Reply: Don't be stupid (like me)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.