Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tough Night tonite >

Tough Night tonite

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tough Night tonite

Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Default RE: Tough Night tonite

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

If he knew he got guts then chances are the deer was going to live quite a few hours, 6+, but it will die. Why take up the trail after only 40 minutes? You knew it was a gut shot, you know gutshots can and many times do live a quite a while, therefore the meat wont be spoiling in 40 minutes because she isnt dead yet!!!!!

You never even gave yourself a chance to find this deer because you pushed her so quickly and now you probably have gauranteed her meat will spoil because she is long gone, suffering, and leaving no blood behind.[:@][:@][:@]
A true gut shot will allow them to live up to 18 hrs, but a lung liver shot, there is no way they live longer than 1 hr. Bubbles in blood and a dark red tint. There is also no real way to tell how long she has been dead, so if I did leave her out overnight, I would never trust the meat.6 hrs wouldmean taking up the trail now. If it was in the 50s and 40s then yes I understand that, but 80s to 70s for the first 6 hrs, if she was dead her meat wouldnt last to long. I have seen it happen before and have had friends sick because they trusted spoiled meat. I am not going to take that chance. I have asked God to give her a good quick death and that nature uses her to sustain the scavengers. Nothing goes to waste, not even a lost deer.
Oneshot,
You're going against everything that you should be following. IF you even SUSPECT gut shot, leave the animal at least 3hrs, preferably 6hrs, then pick up the trail. This thread is a "Sticky" for a reason..... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2987754, it's a GREAT THREAD!!!!

Don't get too excited about that"dark red tint," to the blood, unless it's grainy as well. Dk.red blood could just as easily be GUTrather than LIVER. You come on here saying you had a "Tough Night," and lost adeer, then you don't want to learn fromyour mistakes???? What's your point in posting then????

"MAN UP," and learn a little, rather than sticking yourcovering up your ears and yelling "La,la, la, la...." Good decisions make the difference between a filled tag and a sad, sob story!!!!
Considering the temp, Iwould have given her an hour or two max,takenupthe trail, andfielddressed her asap. Sounds like a judgement call. JMO

Old 09-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even if it was a liver shot 40 min. is just not long enough. 2 hrs. is the norm ona liver shot. If you tracked her that long it is obvious you didn't get liver.

People have got to quit posting these threads!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

definently went against all the rules on that one! the others beat you up enough...but to learn from your mistakes, you must realize that you did indeed make one.

everything about the scenario screams WAIT. im pretty sure this is your first season bowhunting??

hard to learn to WAIT when in doubt.....we all understand meat can spoil, yotes, wolves etc etc can beat you to the deer....but finding a spoiled DEAD deer is better than jumping and chasing a wounded one and never finding it. you cannot tell me you did not jump the deer...whether or not you know you did or not, YOU DID. a deer wounded even in the guts is almost always going to bed within a couple hundred yards...not well over a mile away.

and giving up because its thick and your getting scratched up? thats another pooooor excuse. sorry, but to learn from your mistakes you gotta realize there was a mistake made. i dont care how thick it is...where theres a will, theres a way. and to find downed game, the will should be VERY strong! that would be like me saying "oh the coonhound is treed deep in the briars im not gunna walk in there to get him" (had a dog that would die before he ever left a tree no matter what..if we didnt go in and get him he wasnt leaving)

not trying to beat you up....just trying to help you learn. hope you take these posts and realize there were mistakes made and you need to learn from it. im pretty sure dang near everyone makes similar mistakes the first time or 2 around before they wise up...some never wise up...thats the beauty of the internet and particularly forums like these...GREAT way to learn QUICKLY because 10000 other guys likely been there and done that...no matter what it is...

good luck in the future....going back out where you lost blood in the morning would be a GREAT thing to do...though she could be a good ways away since you guys were beating brush and spooking her and then were lost and beating more brush....

just the length of the trail should sent ques that maybe it wasnt such a great shot....after 100 or 200yds you should have realized that...

people often talk about bubbles in blood...i bet most of them never seen true lung blood....its not bubbles...its FROTHY...hard to describe...but its frothy..think large foamy bubbles...little air bubbles in blood isnt lung blood...by the time most lung shot deer start showing frothy blood, you can see them dead...
Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Hunting in 80+ degree temperatures where the low at night is only in the 60's, I'd say the meat would be spoiled by the time you recovered the animal. even so, its always better on the conscience when you can lay your eyes on the animal and know for sure it died.

I wasn't there and can't say whether you made a poor choice in backing out, butI'm not going to condemn you for it.

Bad shots can and do happen. This time of year, unless you can get on the animal, get it dressed and either butchered or in a freezer in a hurry, you're likely to lose it due to spoilage. It happens quick, fellas.

Good on ya for doing what you felt was necessary though. Good luck to your buddy on making up for it.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Ha ha that sound like 75% of what I hunt in here around in Or. It sucks there hasn't been a good burn in along time in most of the areas. Well controled burns cause the lib, hippies around here. I won't get into that, but all I know is that it sucks. When its that thick. Sorry about the lost deer. Good luck to your friend.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

definently went against all the rules on that one! the others beat you up enough...but to learn from your mistakes, you must realize that you did indeed make one.

Not all the rules.

everything about the scenario screams WAIT. im pretty sure this is your first season bowhunting??

Does it.1st season,thats a bold assumption and degrading.

hard to learn to WAIT when in doubt.....we all understand meat can spoil, yotes, wolves etc etc can beat you to the deer....but finding a spoiled DEAD deer is better than jumping and chasing a wounded one and never finding it. you cannot tell me you did not jump the deer...whether or not you know you did or not, YOU DID. a deer wounded even in the guts is almost always going to bed within a couple hundred yards...not well over a mile away.

How is finding a spoiled dead deer better that trying to recover a deer while you know the meat is still good.

and giving up because its thick and your getting scratched up? thats another pooooor excuse. sorry, but to learn from your mistakes you gotta realize there was a mistake made. i dont care how thick it is...where theres a will, theres a way. and to find downed game, the will should be VERY strong! that would be like me saying "oh the coonhound is treed deep in the briars im not gunna walk in there to get him" (had a dog that would die before he ever left a tree no matter what..if we didnt go in and get him he wasnt leaving)

I believe he said he lost the blood trail, not he was getting too scratched up.

not trying to beat you up....just trying to help you learn. hope you take these posts and realize there were mistakes made and you need to learn from it. im pretty sure dang near everyone makes similar mistakes the first time or 2 around before they wise up...some never wise up...thats the beauty of the internet and particularly forums like these...GREAT way to learn QUICKLY because 10000 other guys likely been there and done that...no matter what it is...

good luck in the future....going back out where you lost blood in the morning would be a GREAT thing to do...though she could be a good ways away since you guys were beating brush and spooking her and then were lost and beating more brush....

just the length of the trail should sent ques that maybe it wasnt such a great shot....after 100 or 200yds you should have realized that...

people often talk about bubbles in blood...i bet most of them never seen true lung blood....its not bubbles...its FROTHY...hard to describe...but its frothy..think large foamy bubbles...little air bubbles in blood isnt lung blood...by the time most lung shot deer start showing frothy blood, you can see them dead...

There are ways to inform/educate without belittling someone and that wasn't it.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mauser06

Hey a couple things to this post. First he said his friend shot her, not him. Yeah they probably went into find her a little to soon, but I bet you've made that mistake before too. At lest he went in after it and tried to find it. Sounds like he went aways too over a mile I think he said. I don't know about you but going into thick sh*t and getting way in there can really get you lost. I would really like to find the thing I killed but if I'm getting along ways in there and just pushing her. I think I'd say ok its not worth getting lost, and I'll leave her. Yeah I guess I'm a bad hunter. And I guess that something else is going to have to eat her sense I can't find her.

The guy messed up bad shot, didn't wait long enough, didn't track all through the night. Maybe he should quit hunting. Never hunt again. Never shoot at a deer that might move.

Sorry I'll stop I'm sounding like a Da.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't ever knock a guy who's about to graduate from the school of hard knocks. Mistakes were made, bad shot, tracking too fast, heck, he may of been using an ATOM broadhead. But he tried. Learning will be aquired from this.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:57 AM

Well, we invited our buddy Brian from SC...about 40 minutes, but not wanting the meat to spoil we took up the trail.
ORIGINAL: Brian/SC
Considering the temp, Iwould have given her an hour or two max,takenupthe trail, andfielddressed her asap. Sounds like a judgement call. JMO
Coincidence?

Brian
Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Well, we invited our buddy Brian from SC...about 40 minutes, but not wanting the meat to spoil we took up the trail.
ORIGINAL: Brian/SC
Coincidence?

Brian
Good Detective work Sherlock!!!! If that animal is still alive, that meat ain't spoiling too much yet, if not you've still got a little while. Now if your talking 'Yote's having a little snack, that's a whole different story, but a couple hours isn't going to hurt that much, especially at night.

Quick Reply: Tough Night tonite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.