Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do scent sprays have a shelf life?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Do scent sprays have a shelf life?

Bow season opened for me this weekend, for the last 2-3 years I have been using Dead Downwind products, with what I think a fair amount of success.

I have had a few instances of deer blowing at me from a distance, but not what I have previously experienced.

But of the four times I made it out this weekend, I have had 3 encounters where deer have winded me.

Now for what it is worth, it was raining, or had just finished raining each of those times, but I always thought the rain knocked your scent down, instead of spreading it.

I washed all my clothes before the season in the new primos detergent, (line dried, and no scent-lok clothing) and showered before each trip out to the woods, and sprayed down with DDW spray that is a year old. It seems like the spray has an odor this year (or maybe it is the primos detergent?) I don't know, but I have about 64 ozs of the spray laying around, that I don't want to throw out, but if need be, it can be dumped out pretty easily.

Any thoughts or opinions or experiences with this?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do scent sprays have a shelf life?

Mines not supposed to, I think it does. Since I can spray mine in my mouth and taste it, I'm sure it does.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM

I was wondering this the other day. I have about 30 oz. of Scent A Way from last year, and I was wondering if this stuff can "go bad" or lose its effectiveness.

Anyone know?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

The only time I was winded last year was in the rain. Your scent becomes much more prevalent when wet. Similarly, a hunting dog can smell a bird much better when it is wet. I am guessing the rain was your enemy.