Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow too heavy?? >

Arrow too heavy??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow too heavy??

Old 09-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Default RE: Arrow too heavy??

who are you crapmaster, the post police ???
Old 09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 320fpsmathews

WHAT EV!!!! the proof is in the freezer and hangin' on the wall!!! NUFF SAID !!!go shoot your telephone poles,i'm THRILLEDfor you !!! all you guys please explain this to me,if slower heavier arrows penetrate better than lighter faster arrows,why are the target makers building denser thicker targets which they claim are "rated for 400fps bows ??.seems like if the old style targets stopped your "target rocking" 250fps arrows, surely they'll stop these puny lightweight arrows,right ???? HHHMMMMMMMM.......
If you're really interested in an answer to that question why ask here? Go to the manufacturers who post claims to your comments. IMO, it is done because that is the marketing that is found to be needed to sell their stuff. I don't think it is based on the shear intelligence of the consumer.

Personally, the Black Hole at my club did not stop my recurve and I would never put moneydown on one.[:@]My setup is a 670 grain arrow shot at 175 FPS. Tons of momentum, but little KE (compared to compounds).
Old 09-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

HOw did this turn into a light -vs-heavy debate? Anyway I'm shooting a 27 inch aluminum at around 485gr. 62lbs.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 AM

well of course,a 670 gr. arrow can "go through a dodge engine"(just ask anybody). that poor little foam target doesn't stand a chance!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

WHAT EV!!!! the proof is in the freezer and hangin' on the wall!!! NUFF SAID !!!go shoot your telephone poles,i'm THRILLEDfor you !!! all you guys please explain this to me,if slower heavier arrows penetrate better than lighter faster arrows,why are the target makers building denser thicker targets which they claim are "rated for 400fps bows ??.seems like if the old style targets stopped your "target rocking" 250fps arrows, surely they'll stop these puny lightweight arrows,right ???? HHHMMMMMMMM.......
Pull your head out of there for a little while, and go trial a few different weight arrows and see for yourself. I'd bet a dime to a dollar that with your bow if you're shooting a bow with 65-70ft/# of KE or more, that you'd find out that you'll get BETTER penetration, arrow flight, and tunability, not to mention a QUIETER BOW when shooting something in the 450gr range than you ever will down around 380. For the OP, 370's may be perfect for his set-up, but they'd be far too light for my likings with ANY of mine, including my 50-60# Frankenbow that is spitting out 440's at 256fps!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 AM

here's food for thought,while living in mont. I reloaded my own rifle cartridges.my varmint gun a ruger 77 bull barrelled 22-250,shooting 55gr. full jackets at +/-3600 fps would punch a clean hole through a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate!!. but, drop the bullet speed below 3000fps and they splatter against the steel like eggs!!it's all about inertia.newton said it best,"an object in motion tends to remain in motion until acted upon by an outside force".my opinion is, the faster the object,the more outside force required to stop it!!.another equation NOONE has touched on yet.....shaft DIAMETER!! as a rule, heavier arrows are thicker.the larger the shaft diameter has more surface area creating more friction and resistance upon entry!! and on it goes....................
Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

here's food for thought,while living in mont. I reloaded my own rifle cartridges.my varmint gun a ruger 77 bull barrelled 22-250,shooting 55gr. full jackets at +/-3600 fps would punch a clean hole through a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate!!. but, drop the bullet speed below 3000fps and they splatter against the steel like eggs!!it's all about inertia.newton said it best,"an object in motion tends to remain in motion until acted upon by an outside force".my opinion is, the faster the object,the more outside force required to stop it!!.another equation NOONE has touched on yet.....shaft DIAMETER!! as a rule, heavier arrows are thicker.the larger the shaft diameter has more surface area creating more friction and resistance upon entry!! and on it goes....................
Yes, arrow shaft diameter is be part of the equation of penetration, however, the broadhead and ferrule designwill be just as or even more important.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM

doug when I purchased both of my mathews bows i was working at the local mathews dealer! i shot many different brands and weights of arrows.but chose the 27" maxima 350 because that was the optimum spine and weight for the switchback xt as per the web site "archers edge"(i think that was the name,i'll check) you go ahead and keep your dollar,and show better manners when speaking to other members!!!(referring to your snide remark about where my head is!)never fails to amaze me how brave and tough people become while hiding behind a computer screen!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think BobCo19-65's signature applies to Mr. 320fps....[&:]
Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM

to the CRAPmaster,i've got an uncle in Michigan,he's an a-hole too!!! must be something in the water!!

Quick Reply: Arrow too heavy??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.