Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Storing hunting clothes / scent >

Storing hunting clothes / scent

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Storing hunting clothes / scent

Old 09-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Storing hunting clothes / scent

OKfolks I have some questions as my archery starts next weekend and my team is putting on the pressure.

first of all I wash my clothes in unscented arm and hammer baking soda or unscented Borax..

I also bought some turpentine as a cover scent,..but when I opened the cap..[X(]not sure if I plan to use it,,VERY STRONG..[&o]Some folks in FL use it for it is made from southern pines.

ok questions.
1. I'm a big man..280s..I walk over one mile to my stand.After the hike..I'm smelly smelly stinky..I have lots of bottles of cover scent but every year I'm busted by ALL the deer..what can I do.?

2. I hear about storing my clothes in pine branches and needles..do I just stick my sweaty clothes in the box or wash them first..trust me .walking back to the truck in 90 degree heat..my clothes are ringing wet with sweat.>

Please help..I'm a little slow so please explain in small steps..there may be other hunters here with the same dilemma

Thanks ,
C7
Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Storing hunting clothes / scent

Also..some say well..put the scentless dry clothes on when ya get to the stand..what a hassle but even then..what would you do with your sweaty ones you wore walking in...they are smelly too?

The only option I can see...
a.climb higher.
b.walk slowly on the stand to keep from sweating so much
c. advoid grapping brances when walking in and out.

PS the turpentine is strong..I simply opened the cap and closed it..my bedroom is overcome witha high pitched pine scent..maybe I will use it ..Some other old timer Floridians swear by it..
Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have to walk in earlier and half nakee ... that's what I do .... you sweat way less ,,, I backpack my clothes to my stand ...

So remember, earlier and half nakee
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

What type of under layers are you wearing? If you have cotton, get rid of it.Don't have cotton as your first layer against your body.For your first layers get a pair of under armour(or UA knockoff). UA heat gear would probably be the best for you. Walmart has a brand that is very similar to UA, but not as expensive. Then keep adding layers, such as a light fleece.

Then I would pack the rest of my hunting clothes in my backpack and walk to my stand earlier and much slower, if you feel yourself start to sweat, stop and take a break.

I understand you live in FL, So heat/humidity is a huge factor.

Oh, maybe its me, but I would get rid of the turpentine
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

maybe try and hunt a lil higher if you can. and place your standwith the wind in your face..
Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

So remember, earlier and half nakee

Can you imagine ..half naked with my harness on..LOL
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not go threw all that and I have had some pretty decent success up here. In my area the coyotes and bears keep deer on thier toes. I like to have a small amount of brush ( just enough to make a small amount of smoke ) and burn it while moving my hunting clothes over it. The smell of smoke appears not to bother them. It may even be something that attracks then some what as it has worked well for me.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

What type of under layers are you wearing?

Ok ..here's how I dress..completelyin this order..

a. briefs
b. hunting socks wool..fills my boots up
c. white cotton t shirt.or camo cotton
d. Army digital pants..
e. belt..
f. Seat of the pants harness
g.Camo digital army shirt
h. stretch digital hood/mask around my neck
i. Snake boots

The night before I hang up my clothes outside and spray with..SCENT KILLER ..this is after they have been washed in unscented baking soda..

I drive like this to the WMA..I then walk to the spot...and I stink..

.For your first layers get a pair of under armour(or UA knockoff). UA heat gear would probably be the best for you. Walmart has a brand that is very similar to UA, but not as expensive. I've never heard of these ...is it a type of undershirt?

Then I would pack the rest of my hunting clothes in my backpack and walk to my stand earlier and much slower, if you feel yourself start to sweat, stop and take a break.

I understand you live in FL, So heat/humidity is a huge factor.

Oh, maybe its me, but I would get rid of the turpentine
I agree..it is too strong and weird..smell slike gasoline.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

i am also i big guy i sweat alot i walk real slow and get in early this year i will pack my clothes in if it is a long walk or real hot.
Hunt the wind
i just was my clothes in hunting scent free soap and throw them into a plastic container. and i spray the crap out of them with scent kill every layer and i spray my upper body down
Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I do not go threw all that and I have had some pretty decent success up here. In my area the coyotes and bears keep deer on thier toes. I like to have a small amount of brush ( just enough to make a small amount of smoke ) and burn it while moving my hunting clothes over it. The smell of smoke appears not to bother them. It may even be something that attracks then some what as it has worked well for me.

PHIL !!! good to hear from ya..and I honestly thought of doing that..most of our successful hunters at the Green Swamp WMA camp there and sure enough stand close to the campfire early i the morning for quite a while before they hunt..These are those boys with jacked up trucks and who get about 3 deer per year ...those redneck pros..who liveto hunt..

Hey I really appreciate all the feedback..they are all considered as I haveto do something to keep from getting busted

Quick Reply: Storing hunting clothes / scent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.