Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rotater Cuff Injury - Bow Recomendations? >

Rotater Cuff Injury - Bow Recomendations?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rotater Cuff Injury - Bow Recomendations?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Rotater Cuff Injury - Bow Recomendations?

Hello All

I gave up Bow Hunting about 10 years due to Rotator Cuff Injury/Sorenessrelated to playing too much Men's League Softball.........throwing too hard. Since my rightshoulder has only bothered me while performing two activities, throwing a baseball/softball or pulling back a bow. Until a few days ago it had been years since I pulled back a bow. While I could still feel some soreness in my shoulder I was surprised at how much of a differencethe 80% letoff made. I pulled back several different bows including the new Mathews DXT, Bear Lights out and Mission Archery X3. I've got the itch again to Bow Hunt and I'm in the market for a new bow. Ultimately I'm looking for something that I can be comfortable shooting and something that will not further hurt my shoulder. After talking with guys at my local bow shop and trying out a few different models I did notice that bowswith the parallel limb design have more flexibility as far a poundage goes. For example the bows with parallel limb design that I tried out were 60# rated. The bow shop tech could turn these bows down to close to 45# which made it more comfortable for me to pull back. I liked this option with the bows that I tried. Essentially they gave me a range of 15#'s to work with rather than just 10#'s. I like the fact that I can start practicing at 45# and if my shoulder should get any stronger I can go heavier poundage. I have a feeling that the max I would ever want to go with would be 50-55#'s.

I would like to know what you guys recommend. Do you feel their is any particular bow suited for someone like myself. I do not want a crossbow. Any bows easier on the shoulder than others. What's your thoughts on limb design? Worse comes to worse maybe I stick to the 40-45# range and just live with it. If I stick to 45# what arrows/broad heads do you recommend?

I would appreciate any help you could give. I would love to get back to the sport.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rotater Cuff Injury - Bow Recomendations?

When someone in your situation approaches me at one of our shooting booths, I always start them off with a Diamond Liberty. In most cases, I never have to show them another bow...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are quite a few good bows out there. Greg mentioned the Liberty, that is indeed a smooth as butter bow. I'd be using a smaller 2 blade cut on contact head as well on top of a mid weight carbon shaft. A Goldtip Pro Hunter 35/55 combined with a Magnus 2 blade Stinger would work perfectly for you. My best bud's father killed a 153" NY buck with that same arrow/broadhead combo out of his 50lb bow a few years ago. It completely passed through and stuck in the dirt.

Edit** Welcome back to the sport!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have shoulder problems (multiple dislocations) from old sports injuries.

I shoot a Mathews Switchback set at about 53lbs- which is REALLY smooth drawing and shooting bow - really easy on my shoulders. Most of the deer I have shot have been complete pass's.

Now matter which bow you decide on, just listen to your body. When your shoulder starts to get tired - STOP shooting and give it some time off....
Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Get what you like. I had rotator cuff surgery about 5 years ago, and it's good to go. I shoot a BowTech Allegience, with a 28 inch draw and 70# draw weight. Best thing you can do is start out low weight, and work you way up if you feel the need. I would get something that started at #60 LBs with it adjustable to #70. But if you feel good get what you want.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a rotator cuff injury in the past so i am always very in tune with how my shoulder feels while drawing and holding back my bow.

I have a Bear Lights Out #60 with 80% let off. It is a very smooth drawing bow with a hard back wall.
I previously had a bow that was not as smooth and the back wall was soft. I always had to be more aware of the draw. With the Lights Out i have not had to think about it much

That being said there may be many bows out there that would feel the same way. Of the ones you mentioned i only have experience with the Lights Out
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Spike

Recommendation from a physical therapist:

Be sure to strengthen your roator cuff as much as possible. I would recommend getting some theraband from your local medical supply store. It is really cheap. It comes in different thickness/colors to vary the resistance. I would recommend using themedium thicknesstheraband ( I believe it is red ). Focus on shoulder external rotation ( rotating the shoulder outward with your elbow against your side ) and shoulder abduction ( bringing the arm up at your side ).

I also have had rotator cuff problems. Using theraband has really helped my archery. I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions or needs please let me know.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Where do you anchor? This will greatly effect your shoulder. The farther the anchor point on the face, the worse the angle on the cuff. Just an inch too long of draw can re-injure your shoulder pretty bad. Shooting with a "cold shoulder" can re-aggrivate it also. Hope you find something that works for you.