Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Anybody else tore a rotator cuff >

Anybody else tore a rotator cuff

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Anybody else tore a rotator cuff

Old 09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
bigcountry

Default Anybody else tore a rotator cuff

Well, it seems, I have done my right shoulder in. Not bad. Going to the orthapedic doctor tomorrow. Started two weeks ago when I over did some bow practice. Little sore, but after a week felt much better. So I went out and shot like 100 skeet. Pretty sore again, but no sharp pain. Went out a day after that and shot my longbow about 30 times, and next day I about not made it to work.

Its usable now, and good enough for me to get a compound back on friday to kill a deer. But still some pain.

Hate to hear what the doctor has to say about it.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 PM

Default RE: Anybody else tore a rotator cuff

I had a MRI last yeas on a problem shoulder and they found two tears.I almost had surgery,but got some rehab,one cortazon shot,and got alot better,not 100 percent but alot better.This happens to many men sooner or later ,just get it checked and dont give up .I shooting a recurve now more that my compound,even though with my mri results I could get a permit to crossbow hunt in n.j .
Old 09-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear that bigcountry, get well soon! And good luck with the compound. Feels foreign doesn't it?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Sorry to hear that bigcountry, get well soon! And good luck with the compound. Feels foreign doesn't it?
I hated for first day out to be with the wheel bow. But I just didn't think my shoulder could handle the longbow. In fact thinking of borrowing a friends 50lb compound. Depending on what the doctor wants to do, this year's bow might be down the drain. Glad I got one buck under my belt at least.

Sounds like I am screwed for this years hunting somewhat. I do all my hunting with a climber. Well see what the results say today. I wonder if this hasn't happened over time. Ain't the first time for this should to be sore. Just the first time its lasted more than 2 weeks, and been sore to the touch in one spot.

Thanks for the reply. I ain't given up on longbow yet.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:51 AM

Yes I did years ago, that is why I can't pull more than #50 now, as arthritis has settled in that shoulder.

Try to rehabilitate it as soon as possible.
Good luck bro.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Tore mine several years ago at work. Wasn't a major tear, no surgery, just rehab and a sling for several weeks. I can still pull 100+ pound bows, but I don't make it a habit anymore. I shoot 66# on a regular basis with no problems--at least no problems with my shoulder.

Chad
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LBR

Tore mine several years ago at work. Wasn't a major tear, no surgery, just rehab and a sling for several weeks. I can still pull 100+ pound bows, but I don't make it a habit anymore. I shoot 66# on a regular basis with no problems--at least no problems with my shoulder.

Chad
Thats encourageing. I was beginning to think it might be life alterning. I talked with the doctor this morning. Seems we are going to do a little rehab. No longbow for a while. He said maybe in a month start easying back into a light compound and maybe not.
Thanks for the replyes.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Work on those muscles that are for pulling, most doctors concentrate on muscles that are use for lifting.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Hope it gets better quick. I have had shoulder problems for a while now, 18 years of baseball, from little league through college, will tend to do that to a guy's shoulder. I just try to keep working out, doing push ups, liftingand stay in some kind of shape. It seems to help out a lot. I can really tell when I start to get lazy, the shoulder will get more sore than normal. My best advice is to stay in shape, do a little cardio and muscle training, it should help out more than anything. If you keep the muscles in your shoulder built up and strong, it will take less stress off of your rotator cuff and make it a lot more comfortable for you to shoot. Good luck in getting back to it as soon as possible!!

Trent
Old 09-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MILLERTIME10

Hope it gets better quick. I have had shoulder problems for a while now, 18 years of baseball, from little league through college, will tend to do that to a guy's shoulder. I just try to keep working out, doing push ups, liftingand stay in some kind of shape. It seems to help out a lot. I can really tell when I start to get lazy, the shoulder will get more sore than normal. My best advice is to stay in shape, do a little cardio and muscle training, it should help out more than anything. If you keep the muscles in your shoulder built up and strong, it will take less stress off of your rotator cuff and make it a lot more comfortable for you to shoot. Good luck in getting back to it as soon as possible!!

Trent

Exactly Trent. I pitched from little league through some college ball and my shoulder was great because I iced it daily (literally). 3 years ago I dislocated my shoulder and severly strained 2 ligaments. I rehabbed and got it back to a 100%. A year later I had to get a Cortazone/Steroid shot for Bursitisand hadn't had any problems for 2 years until last month. Actually going to have another shot today after work.

I know for a fact that the reason my shoulder started hurting was because I messed up my knee playing some men's league baseball in June. After that I couldn't hardly walk, let alone go to the gym. When I stopped doing that and kept hobbling out in the back yard to shoot is when the shoulder acted up. Anyway, good luck you'll be alright.

Quick Reply: Anybody else tore a rotator cuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.