Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

block permit

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Default block permit

Last time we went down to Adams County in ILL. the landowner told us there in-laws have a farm about 15 to 20 min. away. They got a block permit if you boys want to go see some deer. They are on there 2nd one and they can shoot up to 10 deer a night, What!!!!!What a waste. We were like No Thanks that is not
in the least bit cool.[:@]If this screws up our hunt down there.[:@] How many and
often do they give those out?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 PM

Default RE: block permit

anyone out there?????
Sorry about the edit Rob
Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last time we went down to Adams County in ILL. the landowner told us there in-laws have a farm about 15 to 20 min. away
That means they are 10 miles or so away? I doubt that will affect your hunting.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cjohnson664

Last time we went down to Adams County in ILL. the landowner told us there in-laws have a farm about 15 to 20 min. away. They got a block permit if you boys want to go see some deer. They are on there 2nd one and they can shoot up to 10 deer a night, What!!!!!What a waste. We were like No Thanks that is not
in the least bit cool.[:@]If this screws up our hunt down there.[:@] How many and
often do they give those out?
Sounds like the Farm Destruction Permits issued in OHIO, they aren't such a bad thing here at least, the rules are you are supposed to focus on antlerless and small bucks, and if you shoot anything over 3pt's to a side, you are "supposed" to call a GW to turn it in. Now I know it's not done exactly as it's supposed to be done, but in the overall realm, it's really helping the farmers, and without he farmers we don't have food, or land to hunt.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Landowners and particullarly farmers can apply for permits that they get for free in order to control the deer herd. I know I hunted on 400 acres and the landowner had 8 antlerless permits that he wanted filled ASAP during the gun season (all were free from the state). Deer were killing his crops and breaking his temporary electric cattle fence when his cattle were in the corn. 10 deer a night seems like a stretch, unless he owns 1000's of acres. Some of those large properties need a lot of deer taken off and if they don't want outsiders coming on there property and there's only a few people that hunt the land, they need that many permits.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

A couple of places I hunt in Virginia have permits to spot light. The deal is you can only shoot does. No bucks. And man it helps a lot.I have a friend who shot 100does in one summer off his farm. The buck to doe ratio now is awesome. he shoots a ton of does each year with the permit and come regular season there are tremdous bucks everywhere. I have hunted Adams County Ill, and i can tell you the farm i was on had severe over population of does. Might be a good thing.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM

They told me there were shooting bucks and doe's and just throwing them in a pit and covering it up with dirt!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

They told me there were shooting bucks and doe's and just throwing them in a pit and covering it up with dirt!
Sounds like they need to give a few organizations(hunters feeding the hungry, etc.) a call.