Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why do some of you even hunt? >

Why do some of you even hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do some of you even hunt?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why do some of you even hunt?

You could buy 50 tags if you wanted. You wouldn't (for the sake of arguement) really have a "limit" at that point. Would you?
EI...if you can purchase an unlimited number of deer tags....then I stand, corrected. I apologize.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 PM

I'm limited to two bucks, and can kill as many does as I can afford tags for. In fact my state added an extra doe season and is looking at expanding it. I still normally don't hunt for a trophy buck. My main concern is putting meat in the freezer, that's what I use my shotgun tag for. I take the first medium sized doe that comes walking by my stand with my shotgun, and I'll trophy hunt with my bow, unless a doe comes by late in the day and she is alone. I try and kill two does a year and only kill a buck if I can shoot a trophy buck.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Because plain & simple, hunting isn't solely about killing something.
X2

I learned long ago to enjoy my time. For me, it's quiet time away from the Blackberry, emails, work issues, etc.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

The way our “unlimited” doe tags are written is such that….(not quoted word for word)
Any individual can purchase and “unlimited” amount of tags at $6 each until the allocation for that unit is exhausted. I think my unit gets allotted around 65K tags. I don’t believe they sell out of the allotment. As of today I could walk over to the courthouse, plop down 6 grand and walk out with 1000 doe tags. They change the laws seemingly every year, but I believe we are under the regulation, that you can keep killing as many does in one day as long as you tag the 1st one before you go to the next one.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pops423

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Because plain & simple, hunting isn't solely about killing something.
X2

I learned long ago to enjoy my time. For me, it's quiet time away from the Blackberry, emails, work issues, etc.
That's a cute answer, but you could go camping instead of hunting. I mean as a true hunter the dumb regulations/ limits must be frustrating.

I do understand states that have too many hunters and not enough deer, but I'm willing to bet that's not always the case.
Giant Nontypical

Yes, but I wish I had topay for it. I think if PA would let you buy a second buck tag for say 100 dollars, they would make out and still achieve management goals. Say a person couldn't buy the extra tag until they turned in their first. It would help get deer kills reported, raise some extra revenue, and allow the "serious" hunters who spend thousands on equiptment and put in a butt load of time, a second buck tag.
I don't think this is a good idea at all. We alerady kill way too many bucks in this state, (sadly many illegally, but that's a different topic), we don't need additional buck tags, regardless of the price.
Dominant Buck

I can't help it.....I enjoy knowing that I can shoot ANY TIME I WANT TO. I've let a LOT of deer walk in my short time hunting....and I have no issues in doing so. I don't HAVE to kill to have hunted. But in full disclosure....I absolutely love the fact that I can shoot if I WANT to.

Would I trade this scenario for the chance ot hunt in a one tag state......if I had the chance ot shoot larger deer?

Hell no. I love where I hunt. I love this freedom.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Not to brag, but inmy state (Oklahoma)we can bowhunt for105 days (No Sunday rule LMAO) take 2 bucks and 4 does. I guess my question is why do you even bother if you can only take one deer and have restricted days of the week? All of that money, time, gear etc.. for one deer.[&:]Not to mention, we have a 16 day gun season and a decent blackpowder season too.
robbcayman,

We are more fortunate than we know. Our state allows us alot of "freedom" to hunt. The long season and variety of methods available to take game are luxeries that some people have never known, and we should be appreciative.

To answer your question. If they announced tommorow that Oklahoma is changing to one deer per year, and we can't hunt on Sundays, I would be in a treestand 23 days from now, just the same. And I would continue to do so in the years to come.

I love bowhunting, and a one deer bad limit is not a good enough reason forme to stop.Even one is not always neccesary.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Part of hunting in a 1 deer/year state is that we don't exactly get shooting opporatunities all that often! There are people I know who call it a good day if they see/hear/smell a deer. I know people who go years without shooting a deer.

I can shoot 1 with my bow and one with my gun, may have to be a buck. If you blow a chance at a deer, you may very well be eating your tag!

That's why I laugh when people from other areas give us crap about shooting buttons or spikes or a deer that they don't consider "worthy". When you see 1 deer every 2 years, you shoot what you can! Our success rate is in single digits.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

After reading that dumb regulations thread I am confused as to why some of you even hunt. Some of you guys are limited to one deer. If that's not enough, some retarded states won't even let you hunt on a Sunday. [&:]

If my state were anything like that I would start hunting in another state. I mean, how can 1 deer only rule keep you engaged in a hobby? Literally, you guys might only hunt 1 day out of the year i.e. first day kill a buck or doe and then you're done.[:'(]

Not to brag, but in my state (Oklahoma) we can bowhunt for 105 days (No Sunday rule LMAO) take 2 bucks and 4 does. I guess my question is why do you even bother if you can only take one deer and have restricted days of the week? All of that money, time, gear etc.. for one deer.[&:] Not to mention, we have a 16 day gun season and a decent blackpowder season too.
"Why do some of you even hunt?"

Because some of us get it!

Quick Reply: Why do some of you even hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.