Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what shot would put a deer down faster? >

what shot would put a deer down faster?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what shot would put a deer down faster?

Old 11-15-2006, 01:48 PM

Default what shot would put a deer down faster?

iam curious what wolud put a deer down faster. being shot with a
243 or 30-30. thank you.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what shot would put a deer down faster?

It is all about placement and some extend bullet construction. Bang flops are something you can't count on with behind the shoulder shot, one time they fold up the next they may run a little ways even with the same cartridge and bullet being used. Though both are an equally leathal dosewith the animal dead on it's feet. It doesn't take a deer much to run 100 yards
Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to it. I've had deer drop in their tracks with a .30-06 through the lungs. I've had them run 50 yards with a .30-06 through the lungs. I've had them drop in their tracks with a .243 through the lungs. I've had them run 50 yards with a .243 through the lungs.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM

It would all depend on how big the deer was, where you shot it and how far away it was. Both have what it takes to kill deer at normal ranges if the bullet is put in the right spot.

The .243 will shoot farther and flatter though.

Paul
Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

It all depends on shot placement. Neck shots work very very well no matter what caliber you shoot.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Any shot that breaks through both shoulder blades will drop any deer in its tracks, dead on the spot.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 PM

I have to disagree with you kingofspring, my cousin hit a doe in the shoulder with a 12 gauge slug and it came out the other shoulder both holes looked like he was shooting a bullet teh size of the softball but that deer ran over 100 yards without either shoulder.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:47 PM

I may stand corrected. However, in the literally hundreds of deer I've seen shot, and scores I've shot myself, all the shots that broke the shoulder blades dropped them where they stood. I've seen them run a long way with no heart left or softball sized holes through their lungs, though.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The scapula or shoulder bladeis located up higher than some realize a grapefruit sized target just under the spine at the top of the lungs, hit both of these the deer is down(not always dead but won't run anywhere). Get only one then they can go a long way. MarineStud, did your cousin only get one shoulder?

I don't advocate or suggest neck/head shots, justto risky. What part of deers body moves most and without warning their head!A botched neck shot will result in a tough track job and suffering to the animal. Not to mention the target is a lot smaller than the body cavity. If you feel the need toanchor your deer on the spot take the high shoulder, margin of error is much larger.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

a well placed one that is what i will leave this one at

Quick Reply: what shot would put a deer down faster?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.