Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To report a poacher or not? >

To report a poacher or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To report a poacher or not?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 PM

Default RE: To report a poacher or not?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Isn't this the same situation? The guy I am talking about has never and will never do this again either.Do you understand my situation?I understand why he did what he did. That is true. Agree it was the wrong thing to do. that is true. Hang a friend formaking a bad decision? That is ridiculous. If it was a second or third offense,this would not even bein question.
I'm sorry....but it isn't. Your friend knew he was doing something wrong. Mine didn't. Your friend told you about his decision (beforehand????)....AND you AGREED with it. Your friend is in his THIRTIES.

My friend didn't know he'd done anything wrong. He's also a minor. I talked to him and his father about it.
Sorry, didn't know all the details. Well, I didn't find out til after, and he is not quite thirty but I am. Wish everybody knew all the specifics but, not going to get into them. All in all, I will never win that one, cause in the big picture poaching is poaching. I did say agree but lean more towards understand.Either way I just want that thread to be behind me. I feel like a scalded dog[&o]
Old 09-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends on the situation.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Imo, thenotions thatall game violations should be reported or that no game violation should be reportedare equallyunreasonable. Somewhere in between lies the rational response. That being said, it would take an egregious violation of hunting laws to bring me to the point where I would find it important enough to report and circumstances mean everything. As a general statement, where I live game is plentifull, often too plentifull, so the rules surrounding game management takes on a much lower level of importance than say in an area where the resources are scarce. I really don't care if some guy takes 7 squirrels on a given day rather than the legal 6 and I don't care if that guyuses his wifes tag to take an extra deer during the season. There are still plenty of squirrels and still plenty of deer. Do I think it's o.k. to break the rules? No, but that's not the question here. The question is do I report it?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:13 AM

There seems to me, more often than not, that poachers have a criminal mindset and a blatant disregard for laws and society's standards. Reasoning with them won't work. Their brains don't work that way.
It's really hard when that psycho is a family member. You don't want them to go to jail or have the family become the center of neighborhood gossip. So you put up with their sorry butts out of "love" and family loyalties. Dysfunctional family dynamics at it's finest.[&:]
Case in point was an uncle I had. Look up "sociopath" in the dictionary and there's probably a mugshot of him. Extremely manipulative to all those around him. Very nice as long as he got his way. If he didn't, watch out.
Apparently, game laws did not apply to him. Trespassing, out of season, road hunting, didn't matter. Nobody reported him because we we're all scared of him and the possibility of him retaliating in some way.
Luckily, my aunt had the courage to divorce that POS and he fled to Kentucky, never to be heard from again.[:@]
Like most who have responded on this thread, I think the answer is "depends on the situation". Is this an isolated incident where theindividual gave over to temptation and truly feels remorse? Or is that person like my estranged uncle who could care less about anything other than himself?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 AM

I was bowhunting last year and someone killed a doe with a shotgun not to far from my stand. As you could imagine I was PISSED!!! Talked to the land owner after I left the stand and he did not want me reporting it. If the land owner tells me he doesnt want it reported then im not going to report it. I would rather have a place to hunt then report a poacher and not have a place to hunt. Even though it took everything in me not to report him/her.