Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does with Fawns

Old 09-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Does with Fawns

I believe I've seen this topic before but can anyone point out the cons of taking a doe with fawns early in the season? i.e., do they stand a not very good chance of making it? I've taken does with fawns in October before and know the fawns have made it til next year via trail cams, etc., but I've talked with some guys lately that are dead set against it because they say they will not make it.

Forgive me if this has been rehashed before. If so, I'll do some more searching on the threads.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Does with Fawns

From my NCWRC Wildlife Bio's email:

Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old. Though they may continue supplemental nursing into the early bow season, they are fully capable of surviving on their own if the doe is harvested. The moral dilemma is more an issue of perception or misconception, rather than biology. There is no biological problem with harvesting does, even if they have fawns present, during the early bow season. The fawns will survive. I hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at the number below.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have always heard that they hung out with Mom only due to social reasons from early fall on....I have never had a problem with shooting the doe....half of the time she is beating on them establishing pecking order if they get too close to "her" dinner plate.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

It has been re-hashed, but no biggie, every thing has on here.
Biologically speaking, the fawns are perfectly capable of surviving on their own. Some guys still prefer not to shoot them, I am not one of those.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also if the mother has button bucks, if you get rid of her, there is a good chance that the button bucks will stick around that area to grow up, since the mother wont be there to drive them off.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 PM

I've heard the argument go both ways. I say don't shoot, but that's me and I wasn't always so ethical. The way I see it is the fawn iscomparable to a child. Could they survive on their own given the right situation? Of course! But think about how much more they could learn and better offer they would be if they hung around mom longer.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

Also if the mother has button bucks, if you get rid of her, there is a good chance that the button bucks will stick around that area to grow up, since the mother wont be there to drive them off.
And then what? Inbreed with his Sisters and Aunts? I never understood this line of reasoning. Their Mother runs them off for a reason. As long as I've got the proper tag, i take every Doe iget a reasonable shot at. But not for the reason stated above.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks GMMAT and guys. I have also heard the button buck theory and believe I have seen it to be true in my area. At least they usually do stick around. Can't say if its cause the doe got taken out.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Personally i have always passed on a doe with fawns being under the belief that you would be indirectly killing the fawnsbut after reading GMMAT's post i may be reconsidering my position.