Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bending at the waist?  Contorted? >

Bending at the waist? Contorted?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bending at the waist? Contorted?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bending at the waist? Contorted?

Let's take the archer out of the equation.

Let's use a hooter shooter. Now assuming the hooter shooter can align the sight pin housing in the peep ...NO MATTER THE "angle".....and not put torque on the string (or bow)in any direction......

How can the arrow NOT go where the pin has it for the desired distance?

Isn't the whole point of the peep to add "another" anchor reference.....or to assure the archer that he's anchoring consistantly in the same place, each time? Same can be said for the kisser, the archer's nose, the place the rest hits the side of the face, etc...?

But when it's all said and done.....these extra anchor references are designed to make sure we're aligning the sight pin housing in the peep the same way, each time. No?

I used Jawshooter for the example for a reason. He doesn't have the luxury of the aforementioned additional anchor references. If he aligns the sight pin housing in the peep the same way each time......and doesn't torque the string or the bow.......how can his arrow NOT go where it's intended to for a desired distance?

I fully understand the need for additional anchor references for consistancy.......but in a perfect shooting environment...my question still remains. If the sight housing and the peep are aligned the same way each time....how can the arrow stray?

If your contention is that it's impossible for the archer to NOT put torque on the string or the bow when not bending from the waist.....then you've introduced the human element. I'm seeking to find out the Physics behind my question.

I'm imagining aiming from a treestand at a deer 15 yds out.....and then having that deer take two steps towards the archer (on an angle), cutting the distance by 2yds. Instead of bending at the waist (which we all agree is the proper technique).....could the archer simply squat with his knees to maintain the proper angle?

There is a point to my question....

Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff.

What happens when you lower your arm you actually move the string away from your nose, then to get the string back on your nose you slightly tilt your head forwardwhich will bring everything back into alignment right?

No it's wrong because now that you have done that your release hand is not at it's normal anchor it will be slightlylower and a tad furtherbackon your face.

Thus making the shot go hot on the target even tho the peep and pins are lined up.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

What happens when you lower your arm you actually move the string away from your nose, then to get the string back on your nose you slightly tilt your head forwardwhich will bring everything back into alignment right?

No it's wrong because now that you have done that your release hand is not at it's normal anchor it will be slightlylower and a tad furtherbackon your face.
Then you've torqued the string, right?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Even with a Hooter Shooter there is a constant anchor, the anchor cannot be taken out of the equation. The anchor point is the most important part of the equation. You can remove the peep, you can remove the sight, you cannot remove the anchor. You can align the peep with the sight housing in a Hooter Shooter, then raise the release aid and still align the peep with the sight housing but the POI changed because the anchor position changed.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Because you've torqued the string, right?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry Jeff, Your not the only one that doesn't understand what they are saying. lol

The peep is always the same distance from the arrow right? And so it the sight? The only time this would change is if you "pulling" the string higher or lower, am I correct? So from what I can understand, if you just lower your bow arm, and align your peep with your sight housing, it will still not be aligned the same as before, because you are either pulling up or down on the string (which would most likely be down in this instance) thus reducing or increasing the distance between the peep and the arrow?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The right kind of question always gets the right kind of response. If you discover that you're not getting the right answers, it's time to bone up the art of effective questioning.

I thought this might help.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Isn't the whole point of the peep to add "another" anchor reference.....or to assure the archer that he's anchoring consistantly in the same place, each time? Same can be said for the kisser, the archer's nose, the place the rest hits the side of the face, etc...?
NO!!! The point of a peep is to see through your string, it is not a good anchor point at all!!!! When the center shot bows came on the market, the peep provided a way to see through your string...I never recommend to any of the guys I have worked with to use a peep as a anchor as there are too many variables with it!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I said anchor REFERENCE. I never siad it was an anchor point.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't recommend using it for anything other than seeing through your string!!!!

Quick Reply: Bending at the waist? Contorted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.