Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

god help me

Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default god help me

well guys i made the jump to go on a diet. I have before but not like this.
I am eating these little lean cuisine meals
really there good for health food that is frozen.
I hope to drop 50 pounds by Jan. which is about how long it took me to do so in KY a few years ago.

If i do i plan to go down to duck KY which is by key west and get scuba cert. so i can dive. figure it would be a good prize for my self for losing the weight.

I figure with hunting season right around the corner it is a good time to start. Not sure how hard it will be to stay with the frozen meals if i got a freezer full of deer meat.

Funny thing is i started Friday afternoon.
I went down to a friends house Saturday around noon. they just happen to be pulling a great smelling meat loaf out of the oven and offered me a piece. But i said no and did not eat any.
Then today my mom gets the idea to make homemade enchiladas. I did take two small bites of it just to taste it and even eat the low fat meal right in front of it.
It was hard to do with it sitting right in front of me but i did it.

I figure if i can drop enough i will get a climber next year which would also make a good prize for sticking to the diet.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM

Default RE: god help me

You incorporating any kind of excersize routine with that? If not, hate to say it, but probably not sustainable. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, losing weight and keeping it off is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a diet. Diets don't work ever. YOu need to completely change your eating habits, mindset on food and nutrition and EXERCISE.

Diet without exercise is a waste of time, and diet and exercise without changing your lifestyle is a waste of a lot of hard work.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

It's not imperative to exercise to lose weight. Not at all. Is it "better" to incorporate exercise? Surely.

It's a formula, Tim. Once you learn your basic metabolic rate......it's a math formula from there. (________) calories to "maintain". Any calories over that will see you gain. And deficit will see you lose.

3,500cal./pound......and a 500 cal/day deficit will see you lose 1#/wk. It's simple math.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 PM

If your interested in the lifestyle change I would recommend "Men's Health's Muscle Chow" also to make eating out easier I would also recommend "It This not That" they are a great resource if your looking at loosing the weight and keeping it off. I'm about to start a series on my blog about my weight loss plan, I'm going to try and get into better shape for hunting season and to stay healthy for life. Since I'm young it will be easier to loose it now than if I wait a few years.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It's not imperative to exercise to lose weight. Not at all. Is it "better" to incorporate exercise? Surely.

It's a formula, Tim. Once you learn your basic metabolic rate......it's a math formula from there. (________) calories to "maintain". Any calories over that will see you gain. And deficit will see you lose.

3,500cal./pound......and a 500 cal/day deficit will see you lose 1#/wk. It's simple math.

Good luck to you.
And here's the problem with that.....with just diet you start to basically starve yourself and your body slows down even further because it doesn't know why it is suddenly being deprived of the calories it's used to.

So what happens is you lose weight initially, maybe a good amount but you'll plateau, stop losing and maybe even gain a few back and not know why........then the diet will be abandoned, the old caloric intake will be resumed and because the metabolism is at a slower rate due to diet alone the person will generally gain back all the weight and THEN SOME.
Yo-yo dieting.
Sustained weight loss without exercise AND sensible diet is a waste of time at leastfor a truly overweight person who has struggled with weight for long periods of time.

A person losing another couple vanity pounds whois blessed with higher metabolisms or are athletic to begin with is another story and can just diet it off.

Trust me dude, this is what I went to school for.......Athletic Training Health Science.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt I only cite Rush Limbaugh as the example of what I was talking about. Oh yeah....that Subway dude, too.

Not ideal by ANY stretch. Not "typical". Not "impossible".

I would NEVER go into a weight loss change of lifestyle without incorporating exercise.....but it happens.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigtime, when you wake up eat something healthy as soon as possible. Get the fire burning EARLY! Then eat something small around ten or so. Eat about five to six times a day. Incorporate fruits and veggies. I like to throw blueberries and strawberries in a high fiber cereal in the morning. Learn to love fiber...

As far as exercise goes. If you don't do it, then you aren't going to keep anything off. Feed your body and workout. Start a strength training program. The more muscle tissue the more calories burned, bottom line.

A lot of people make the mistake by doing cardio only and they drop water weight and that's it. Lose that and more by building up your muscle tissue. It doesn't even have to be working out with weights, per se. Do pushups and jump rope. You can get a great workout in twenty minutes. Do something like that three to four times a week. The fat tissue will burn off and the lean, muscle tissue will increase.

Don't make the mistake of starving your body hoping you will lose weight. You'll lose the water weight and then it will come right back if you don't exercise.

If I was stranded on a island and all I could do is either cardio or strength train I would pick strength training all day long.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck
Old 08-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt I only cite Rush Limbaugh as the example of what I was talking about. Oh yeah....that Subway dude, too.
LOL
And neither of them could probably punch their way out of a bag of Cool Whip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.