Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hanging stands

Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hanging stands

I like to use rope and alot out screw in's to get the stand in place then, I too use the ratchet strap. I do not hang then and hunt them the same day. And I have fallen in love with my climber, so much eiser.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 AM

It would all depend on location. If it is safetly away from the bed next to a food source, the only option I see is to get in early with a full change of clothes. Hang the set as quietly as possible, cool down and change clothes, spray down, and start hunting. No matter what it sucks! But if the deer u have been watching is good enough you'll find the strength.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 AM

I use rapid rails and my stands have a pin system that i hang them off of under the right conditions with minimal trimming 20-30min I have been thinking of getting some spurs to elminate the rails and pegs.

bowtech 360 i hate wearing rubber boots don't make go get them 7-8 min lets be realistic
Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about the spurs but heard they can be dangerous to use
Old 08-31-2008, 07:54 AM

I don't think i would buy any from out of a catalog but rather get a pair from either somebody that uses them daily as in lumberjack or linesman
Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

This is why I sold my LW alpha lock on and climbing sticks.

Ridiculous.

I can use a climber MUCH faster......with MUCH less effort.....and much quieter.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im a pretty big fixed stand hunter... I have a climber and use it yearly, but My fixed stands are in locations where i feel the most confident.... There are'nt any tree's that can be climbed in these areas.

But I usually have them up before season comes.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Jeff on this for the most part. I love EVERYTHING about climbers over hang-ons except for two things:

Entry/Exit Quiteness
Having to remove the climber after every hunt

I only ever hunted exclusively out of climbers until this season. I don't want to be bothered with hiking in and out with the climber on my back after every hunt, and I fear leaving the stand at the base of the tree over time will simply alert deer, and leave unecessary scent.

I went to hang on stands this year (and kept my API climber for spur of the moment changes), and I HATED putting them up. I could probably get them up much quicker with a lineman's belt, but it still took much more effort and time. I'm simply hoping that the fact they will allow me to sneak in and up the tree and out of the tree much quieted will outweight the negatives.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

I'm with Jeff on this for the most part. I love EVERYTHING about climbers over hang-ons except for two things:

Entry/Exit Quiteness
Having to remove the climber after every hunt

I only ever hunted exclusively out of climbers until this season. I don't want to be bothered with hiking in and out with the climber on my back after every hunt, and I fear leaving the stand at the base of the tree over time will simply alert deer, and leave unecessary scent.

I went to hang on stands this year (and kept my API climber for spur of the moment changes), and I HATED putting them up. I could probably get them up much quicker with a lineman's belt, but it still took much more effort and time. I'm simply hoping that the fact they will allow me to sneak in and up the tree and out of the tree much quieted will outweight the negatives.
The lineman's belt does help ALLOT. Since I'm fairly new to hanging stands, it takes me about 30 minutes.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for hanging and hunting, I will not do it unless for an evening hunt in colder weather. I do however hang about 4 or 5 before season. (Hung 3 yesterday) I will use these close to bedding areas/transition zones for quick, quiet entry/exit. I love just carrying in my bow and pack. Nothing to make noise. I just climb, pull up the bow and pack, nock an arrow and hunt. Takes all of about 2 minutes.

I do like the all day comfort of my Viper climber and Open-Shot and I will use these exclusively over feeding and doe travel routes during the rut. Note: Only if I see it necessary.

LT

Quick Reply: hanging stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.