Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cover for my 8 yr old son >

Cover for my 8 yr old son

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cover for my 8 yr old son

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Cover for my 8 yr old son

What would be the best way for my 8 yr old son to hunt? Ground blind or stand- I am thinking ground blind.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cover for my 8 yr old son

Or in a 2 person ladder stand with you.

Depends on the spot.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would vote ground blind unless he's one seriously disciplined kid.
A properly brushed in ground blind allows 2 people and a fidgety 8 yr old to get away with murder as long as you keep it quiet.
Moving, drawing, communicating etc etc are much easier done while hidden in a ground blind.

Rifle hunting it probably doesn't matter as much ,but for archery gear I think it's the way to go.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

I had my daughter sit with me in a two man ladder stand when she was nine. She wasgreat and I did get a deer, but it was difficult. The next year, I used a ground blind, which was an easier hunt for her, she even laid down for a little while, but I didn't get a deer from the ground blind. She's 15 now and she'll behunting in a ladder stand by herself this year. Before she first went out with me, I used to have her sit on the front porch with me and sit as long as she could without moving. It was nice "Training" time and I told her if she could last longer than me, we could go get ice cream. I'd time her to see how long she could go and set that for the time to beat the next day.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have been taking my son hunting with me since he was 5, in both ground blinds and tree stands(ladder stands single and double).
If your talking bow then I think a ground blind is better but if gun hunting ladder stands work great.

He took his first two deer last year (his first year hunting) at the age of nine, both were from ladder stands.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

definately a blind. It covers up all the movement. Sometimes I take my boys and I let them take a gameboy and snacks

rick