Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Never been so scared in my life! >

Never been so scared in my life!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Never been so scared in my life!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Never been so scared in my life!

Two years ago on the tennessee/north carolina border I walked up on a sow with 2 cubs also. She stood straight up and I just about peed my pants. I waved my arms and yelled as loud as I could and they took off. It was the coolest and scariest thingthat happened to me that year. I know how you felt
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My very first time in Canada bear hunting I sat in a stand all day and didn't see anything. Walking out after it was dark I was waiting near a makeshift road for a truck to come get me and I had a bear come charging up out of the woods. Stomping paws and popping jaws both. I guess it was a bluff charge because the bear never came out of the woods and onto the road. I walked up the trail a ways with my bow in hand and flashlight on my head singing sweet home alabama.. lol Then sat there for over an hour to think about it waiting on the truck. Come to find out they were tracking a bear.. The charge was one thing, sitting out there for an hour to think about it was way worse...
Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been charged twice by black bears. The first was in Alaska-he took two seven mag rounds and another from a 338. He didn't make it-I was prepared to put a third round down his throat. The second was less than five feet when a broadhead ripped through his chest. I was scream "hey bear, hey bear" at the top of my lungs! He broke off his charge when the arrow hit. I never recovered him...

I have had many climb the tree...even had one try to shake me from it (he's a nice rug now). They're efinitely formidable opponents. Avoid carrying marshmellows to your stand-it helps.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 PM

I live in British Columbia, am a former guide, and have encountered literally hundreds of black bears and several dozen grizzlies. I have only been charged once.

My opinion is that unless you are an expert with a "sidearm"...leave it at home. Bring along some pepper spray instead. It works and avoids the complications of a wounded bear runnung round or the tradgedy of orphaned cubs.

Unless you can consistantly hit a tennis ball bouncing down a hill towards you with your pistol, it will cause you more problems than it will solve.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Stonegoat

I live in British Columbia, am a former guide, and have encountered literally hundreds of black bears and several dozen grizzlies. I have only been charged once.

My opinion is that unless you are an expert with a "sidearm"...leave it at home. Bring along some pepper spray instead. It works and avoids the complications of a wounded bear runnung round or the tradgedy of orphaned cubs.

Unless you can consistantly hit a tennis ball bouncing down a hill towards you with your pistol, it will cause you more problems than it will solve.

That makes a heck of alot of sense to me.[8D] I have seen on many shows where the spray works wonders.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: demoIL

My very first time in Canada bear hunting I sat in a stand all day and didn't see anything. Walking out after it was dark I was waiting near a makeshift road for a truck to come get me and I had a bear come charging up out of the woods. Stomping paws and popping jaws both. I guess it was a bluff charge because the bear never came out of the woods and onto the road. I walked up the trail a ways with my bow in hand and flashlight on my head singing sweet home alabama.. lol Then sat there for over an hour to think about it waiting on the truck. Come to find out they were tracking a bear.. The charge was one thing, sitting out there for an hour to think about it was way worse...
Yikes!! I had this same thing happen to me but the only difference was I'm not sure If It was a bear or a Timber Wolf. My light quit working, battery was dead. I'm thinking It was a bear because of the muffled cracks of the sticks but whatever It was I didn't like It one bit being I couldn't see a thing waiting on the road to get picked up.

[/quote]
ORIGINAL: Stonegoat

Perfectly said!! This guy should know.