Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Never been so scared in my life! >

Never been so scared in my life!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Never been so scared in my life!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Never been so scared in my life!

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Attacks on humans are very rare, they'd rather turn tail and exit. I understand the worry but bears are way more afraid of humans than we should be of them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't respect them, especially sows with cubs. I feel you did the right thing by making yourself appear larger and warning her. Yes, she could have charged but again, rare.

Look back and enjoy it as a great encounter. I've had run ins with many, many bears, they turn inside out to leave when talked to.
Well said!
I'm in MB and we do have fatalities to bears but not every yr. When natural foods are scarce the bears become protective of their food. Sows with cubs. She will look out for her cubs first. Up a tree they go and then you know your in trouble. One that stands up and looks at you is searching for danger and then basically wighing out the loss vs gain to attack with her cubs so close. Most will run as they know most animals in the bush won't work to get the cubs if the don't have to. You were one being, she thought the danger level was low so left.
The most dangerous time to be around a sow and cubs is in the spring. A boar might kill the cubs to get the the sow. And in that situation I wouldn't want to growl. Just tell her to get movin on, but yell and make yourself look big like you did.
Fun wasn't it???????[X(][8D]
Old 08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never encountered one, but I do hunt in an area with a small black bear population.

I can't see myself EVER screaming at a bear, unless I had a gun for backup. I'd probably slowly and quietly back out of the area. Only if she followed me would I scream at her. But I'm no bear expert....
Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 PM

I just watched a special on animals in the US who have attacked humans. They covered black and brown bears, deer, Mountain Lions, and such. They said the best bet for brown bears is to play dead and go limp, and for small to medium black bears to raise your arms and appear bigger. They said if you appear taller than them then they will most likely run away and choose to fight another day.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'd like to see you explain the doughnuts to your DNR

VERY VERY bad idea.
They fell out of my matchbox lunch box when I fell. I know what you are saying Jeff, but its still over a month away. Our "baiting" is that you cannot put attractants out 30 days before hunt. If I pour molasses into a tree stump now, whats stopping it from being there long enough to give the animal a general feeding radius. Ive never planned, thought about, much less anticipated a black bear, but if he is hanging in the generall vecinity of my stand and gives me a 30 yrd shot...hes mine.

My hunting buddy says they love molasses corn. Plus I have sweet apple blocks that are soaking into the ground. Does this fall into feeding or baiting him...I dont think so. I have a few more days to lay the stuff down before breaking any laws, but will he or she remain in the area, or migrate somewhere else. Thats my question. If its the corn, thats great. I will eat the Jelly donuts on the way to stand and eat half and toss the piece that I just cant fit in my tummy! I am still going nuts hoping he stepped in front of my camera, or at least chow me how many others are around.

I just dont know of their migrating habits. Hopefully h will stil be walking the same trails looking for whatever he was doing there in the first place.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I woulda threw the backpack full of corn at her!! [8D]
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I'd like to see you explain the doughnuts to your DNR

VERY VERY bad idea.
They fell out of my matchbox lunch box when I fell. I know what you are saying Jeff, but its still over a month away. Our "baiting" is that you cannot put attractants out 30 days before hunt. If I pour molasses into a tree stump now, whats stopping it from being there long enough to give the animal a general feeding radius. Ive never planned, thought about, much less anticipated a black bear, but if he is hanging in the generall vecinity of my stand and gives me a 30 yrd shot...hes mine.

My hunting buddy says they love molasses corn. Plus I have sweet apple blocks that are soaking into the ground. Does this fall into feeding or baiting him...I dont think so. I have a few more days to lay the stuff down before breaking any laws, but will he or she remain in the area, or migrate somewhere else. Thats my question. If its the corn, thats great. I will eat the Jelly donuts on the way to stand and eat half and toss the piece that I just cant fit in my tummy! I am still going nuts hoping he stepped in front of my camera, or at least chow me how many others are around.

I just dont know of their migrating habits. Hopefully h will stil be walking the same trails looking for whatever he was doing there in the first place.
Does this mean that you can dump a tractor trailer load of corn off....31 days before the season and still be legal?

It may just be me, but I have way too much invested in this game to chance losing my ticket. Ya I have blocks out, but they will be gone before the 30 day period, AS will any residue from them.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Plus I have sweet apple blocks that are soaking into the ground. Does this fall into feeding or baiting him...I dont think so.
Dont know. Check with your DNR...and then you'll KNOW.

I will eat the Jelly donuts on the way to stand and eat half and toss the piece that I just cant fit in my tummy!
Again.....no concern of mine.I hope you don't get caught, though

I still seem to be missing something. You continue to say "HE"....and yet you mention cubs in the opening thread (cubs and "he"). Which is it?

It may just be me, but I have way too much invested in this game to chance losing my ticket. Ya I have blocks out, but they will be gone before the 30 day period, AS will any residue from them.
There's someone who's read their regs.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everywhere I have ever heard of that allows baiting before the season allows no residue left over from it. It is the same way for turkeys and ducks here, as well as the bears. Even though I can plant a field of corn and flood it for ducks [:@].

On the other hand, I have never had a personal day light encounter with a bear, but there are plenty of them around. They killed one behind my house that was about 560 lbs a few years ago. Several 300 lbers since then. I would likely turn and haul tail outta there. My only hope is to make it to the ditch and hope she knocks herself out on the other side.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Plus I have sweet apple blocks that are soaking into the ground. Does this fall into feeding or baiting him...I dont think so.
Dont know. Check with your DNR...and then you'll KNOW.

I will eat the Jelly donuts on the way to stand and eat half and toss the piece that I just cant fit in my tummy!
Again.....no concern of mine.I hope you don't get caught, though

I still seem to be missing something. You continue to say "HE"....and yet you mention cubs in the opening thread (cubs and "he"). Which is it?

There's someone who's read their regs.
Jeff, Ive learned that what you read, you REALLY read and take to the point. The Bear is he...I apologize for not calling her by her sex. I was refering to the bear as a he because sometimes I miss the point. IT was a she, unless the cubs were with Daddy!

Minor point, but thinks for watching out for me and not confusing anyone. Im an ethical hunter, so I hope that a mispelling, or misconception doesnt make my quest to be as literally capable of you seem that farther away. Im trying Jeff...but sometimes when I write...I just type. Maybe I will have the literary perfection that you seem to have...unless you are doubting me and trying to call my bluff.

Peace brother...it was a SHE, and SHE had two cubs following closely in HER footsteps! I saw the nostrils flaring for scent I was that close...wasnt looking for anatomy downstairs!!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone ever come close to a sow and cubs like that?
Yep, a good handful of times while going in and out of stand sites.

One particular story though that I'll tell you Is one no one should ever do. My dad and I were scouting some new bear hunting area's back in 1991. We were driving on an old dirt road back in the sticks and out ran a sow and 2 cubs in front of us. Dad slammed the brakes on and we jumped out cautiously and chased the cubs up the tree beside the road to get some footage on tape. The sow bluffed her charge a handful of times getting within 10 yards every time and then turning around and running back about 20 yards. She eventually quit charging us. In the mean time I got the camcorder out and filmed the cubs in the tree. Like I said Its something one should never do. Most of the time the sow will not hurt you but there could be that one time she does. If you see a sow with cubs, stay the hell away from her and things will be just fine.

I've read that as well. It stated something along the lines that although black bear attacks are more rare than their brown bear counterparts, more humans have been eaten by black bears than browns. There was like only something like 17 confirmed brown bear attacks in the past century in North America where the person was eaten.
Actually there's more black bear encounters then any other bear. Reason being, there's many more of them around.

Hoyt you asked If she will stick around. Chances are If there's not ample food there she'll be on the move. If there's allot of natural food there she'll stick around. A bear's favorite food is berries, acorns, bugs, plants, etc. Bear are more plant and bug eaters then meat eaters.

Quick Reply: Never been so scared in my life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.