Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Never been so scared in my life! >

Never been so scared in my life!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Never been so scared in my life!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Never been so scared in my life!

We finally got some rain today so I figured I would go out and throw some seed in my plot. I threw the seed and filled my backpack with deer corn and an extra bag as well. I had about 50#'s altogether and was walking my trail to my stand about .5 miles back in the woods.

Its pouring down rain and Im about 10 yards from my stand and was checking out a huge rub on a cedar when I heard bushes moving about 25 ft straight ahead of me. The image appeared dark, and then got bigger and BLACK. By the time I stood up (I was in my camo) I realized it was a black bear about 25 ft ahead of me. It stood up and stared at me for about 30 seconds. Before I gave him the next move I raised my hands and growled like never before. It took off and 2 cubs followed.

Im in VA and I have only read about bear sightings, but this one was up front and REAL. I had a pocket knife and thats it. Ive heard of sows protecting the cubs, but standing straight up she was about 5 ft tall and no match for me...i guess. I turned and walked out of the woods and sat down shaking.

Anyone ever come close to a sow and cubs like that?

BTW...he was in the area of one of my cameras, so Im hoping I have a picture of him. Im not going back without my sidearm though!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Never been so scared in my life!

Sounds like an experience worthy of chaging your shorts!

You apparently did the right thing!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM

Wow, that's pretty cool even though it scared the crap out of you. Keep yourself safe out there...no telling what you might see sometimes.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been 20 yards from cubs and got like hell outta there becuase I had been getting pictures of cubs and a BIG sow and I really didnt wanna run into her!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Wow! I was watching a show the other night where a Biologist said that a Black with her cubs was one of the most dangerous animals in North America!! yikes!! Glad it all worked out !!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

You, me , and Eric were right where I saw her! I believe they had just left the creek and heading up the ridge. My stand is on the ridge where Eric noticed all the White Oaks. The spot where I saw her was about 15 yrs away from the tree Eric found the sign from last year (acorn bottom and droppings).

It is gonna be a happening spot, but in VA I only have about 5 days to get her with a bow, and only a few days with Muzzleloader. I believe the bears eat the corn too. I cant wait to check my camera.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Crazy.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a crazy story,I just got back from Alaska, fishing/rafting in the bush with a buddy, saw 15 bears. 11 grizzlies and 4 black bears. Spent the week with my head on a swivel. BTW even at 5 ft. tall, she was way more than a match for you

Shane
Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Attacks on humans are very rare, they'd rather turn tail and exit. I understand the worry but bears are way more afraid of humans than we should be of them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't respect them, especially sows with cubs. I feel you did the right thing by making yourself appear larger and warning her. Yes, she could have charged but again, rare.

Look back and enjoy it as a great encounter. I've had run ins with many, many bears, they turn inside out to leave when talked to.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Bad thing is...a black bear, unlike some others,won't just "play" with you. They won't beat you down and slap you around a little. They will kick your ass and then eat you.

Glad things worked out.

Quick Reply: Never been so scared in my life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.