Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recovery, What To Do After the Shot. >

Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Note where deer stood at shot,every shot. Hits cut hair. Find it,save it. If not sure where its from it can be compared to a hide or whole deer later.
Mark,mentally last spot deer seen at. If backing out take pen or pencil notes.
Include deers reaction to shot and its demeanor in flight.
High and no exit wounds leave little blood. Fat and other plugging items have been discussed. Tracking without blood not uncommon at all. Take it slow,upset deer leave more noticeable sign,especially panicked ones.
When a trail had "good"blood and ends be sure deer didn,t double back on its own tracks. Also a button hook can occur as brain runs out of oxygen.
A deer even mortally wounded can jump six feet, over a dead fall from where last blood found, downwind so it can monitor its backtrail.(circle last sign till trail recovered).
Had one kill years ago,rear of brisket,arrow sheared at first jump. No blood bigger than a dime. Another pinned between shoulders from above just barley sliced side of heart and spine,no exit. Buck ran out of sight at 80 yds with arrow. Just past that he rolled breaking arrow,then about a 20 yard hook to right dying on the move. 3 or 4 quarter dollar size spots of blood where he rolled.(i had better eyes then).
Treat each shot as a fatal (back off time if in doubt) hit. After doubt caused wait prove to yourself the result.Have had multiple kills the deer showed no sign of a hit,(that i could see.)rifle and bow till tracked a ways. They just raced out of site.
Spent a couple hundred yards today on first miss in a while. (Bang head.)but it was an obligation.

Last edited by monoped; 10-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Spike

Default Gut shot...

Guys, I have harvested many deer and I am sick over this situation. Everyone has hunting stories, but I am puzzled on this one. The deer was hit back mid section of body, broadside. It was a 20 yard shot, arrow hit a small branch. The deer went about 20 yards and stood there for about 5 min. He then walked 20 yds. and bedded down. After 30 min. He got up and moved about 10' and bedded down again. About 20 min. later he got up and fell back down in to a bedding position. He got up one more time and went 10 yds. and bedded down again. It got dark and I back'ed out. The next morning I was hoping to find the deer where he bedded last, but not the case. The arrow was recovered with blood on the fletching and some small gut/intestine particles. (It did not smell like guts). I have done a viual search for over 10 hours, swamp, hard woods, creek bottoms, etc. Because of the shot placement, no blood trail. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Spike

If it did not penetrate through the shoulder he/she will not die. I have butchered deer with broad heads logged in shoulders. You may get blood trail for awhile, but it may turn in to small specs eventually. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Tough one. Backing out on suspected gut shot gets lots of agreement. Wondering what broadhead condition was in on impact. besides being robbed of energy a dull cut/tear binds much better than a razor. Was deer hunched up when walking like a severe paunch shot?not smelling matter could be good for survival. Expected it to be where you left it also. Unless a yote or something made it get up. Nearest thick cover(oddly uphill like their not supposed to) is where last tough find was. I don,t use dog (yet got enough of them) but after your search don,t know what else to try. Maybe twanged a nerve but deer didn,t seem panicked or on a death run. Wouldn't,t be surprised if it gets spotted again.though it may be at opposite end of his range. Were i sent to look after your great effort i would seek out the spot to hide within sight of last bed. If it did not head for water it just rebedded if dying, or left area for security cover . Some bucks die on their feet but usually where running,walking hard after the shot. I appreciate your recovery attempt.

Last edited by monoped; 10-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Spike

Great post, thanks for the tips
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dabowhunter
When the blood trail starts to peter out....break out the hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen Peroxide when sprayed on even old dried blood will cause a chemical reaction and bubble up. It has gotten me back on the trail several times. Its cheap and can be found at any drug store and even some convenience stores carry some. Just buy a cheap spray bottle at the dollar store and your good to go.

Also look for good blood on the ground. The doe I shot this year only ran 40yds at most but had good pass through broadside shot and the arrow fletching was covered in "red blood" it wasnt bright colored like the lung blood but was a good shot right above the front elbow...so I assume it was a good lung shot. recovery was easy on this one.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Spike

That's good info, but there are quite a few coyotes where I hunt making it hard for me to wait so long to recover my dear. So far though I've only either made a great shot or missed completely.. So I haven't had to worry about gut shot deer
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Spike

thanks for this nice and usefull information.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 AM
Spike

Just got done reading the write-up. Alot of helpful information and great write-up! This will deffinitely come in handy, thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Spike

Awesome! Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.