HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 AM
monoped
Fork Horn

Tough one. Backing out on suspected gut shot gets lots of agreement. Wondering what broadhead condition was in on impact. besides being robbed of energy a dull cut/tear binds much better than a razor. Was deer hunched up when walking like a severe paunch shot?not smelling matter could be good for survival. Expected it to be where you left it also. Unless a yote or something made it get up. Nearest thick cover(oddly uphill like their not supposed to) is where last tough find was. I don,t use dog (yet got enough of them) but after your search don,t know what else to try. Maybe twanged a nerve but deer didn,t seem panicked or on a death run. Wouldn't,t be surprised if it gets spotted again.though it may be at opposite end of his range. Were i sent to look after your great effort i would seek out the spot to hide within sight of last bed. If it did not head for water it just rebedded if dying, or left area for security cover . Some bucks die on their feet but usually where running,walking hard after the shot. I appreciate your recovery attempt.

Last edited by monoped; 10-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.