Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal >

Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

I dont have this problem with my nighbors as they know they are always more than welcome to come on our property and track a wounded animal, the only time we run into problems is when one crosses the river and gets on to another parcel of land.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Good point bigcountry. I think its less a matter of law and more a matter of respect for the landowner in most people's minds. It's just that law represents it in a tangible way.

If someone knowingly breaks the trespass law in a situation but is respectful of the other person's property - meaning not damaging it in any substantially physical way - and agrees to pay the consequences - meaning any citations or fines that accompany it - then I have no problem with it. But that is me. Others have different viewpoints and are entitled to them.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

If someone knowingly breaks the trespass law in a situation but is respectful of the other person's property - meaning not damaging it in any substantially physical way - and agrees to pay the consequences - meaning any citations or fines that accompany it - then I have no problem with it. But that is me. Others have different viewpoints and are entitled to them.
I'm just wondering where the line gets drawn. Does the same apply for hunting?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if I shoot a deer legally and it goes on posted land I make every attempt to get my deer! Sorry guys but I am not gonna let a deer that I shot go to waste cuase someone will not let me walk on there land! So my answer is yes the deer has my respect and I would pay the $150 dollar fine if caught retrieving my deer! Just me though! This is a sore subject with me I got a landowner who I fight with every year. I never ask him I know his answer if I would! I wait till late at night and go get it! Am I correct no I no I am in the wrong! I don't like doing it but it's got to be done!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Good point GMMAT. Absoulely not in my opinion. Totally different story. I'm talking about if you start out on your own land or land you have permission to hunt and circumstances present the deer running onto an adjoining property.

Again, in my cases, it would have to go a heckuva long ways. And I have avoided hunting properties/areas in the past that are near property lines of landowners I don't have good or simply existing relationships with. I don't want to present myself with this problem in the first place. Especially since many of the areas I bowhunt aren't necessarily urban per se but near houses and farms where it could be a problem if I didn't know the landowners.

One year, I literally had a big doe sprint 150 yards through the woods from one of my stands and collapse near the front steps of a neighbor's cabin. In that case, I asked, "Do you mind if I drag a nice doe out of your front yard?"
Old 08-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cooter144

An animal shot through the vitals shouldn't go far. A gut shot animal would be another story.

I would probably just go in there and quickly drag it back to my property.

This is not a problem I have ever had since my neighbors would never tell me I can't retrieve a deer and I in turn would not do that to them.

Luckely in MN it would also be perfectly legal for me to go in and get the animal without even asking unless they came out and told me to leave in which case I would have to abide by their wishes.
Read again Cooter. Here is Minnesota's trespass law.

Restrictions (See below for exceptions, definitions, and
posting requirements)
• A person may not enter legally posted land for outdoor recreation
purposes without
permission.
• A person may not enter agricultural land for outdoor recreation
purposes
without permission.
• A person may not remain on private land for outdoor recreation
purposes
after being told to leave.
• On another person’s private land or a public right-of-way, a person
may not take a wild animal with a firearm within 500 feet of a
building occupied by humans or livestock without written permission.
• A person may not take a wild animal with a firearm within 500 feet
of a corral containing
livestock without permission.
• A person may not take a wild animal on any land where the person
is prohibited from lawfully entering by this law.
• A person may not wound or kill another person’s domestic animal,
destroy private property, or pass through a closed gate without
returning it to the original position.

Exceptions
• A person on foot may, without permission, enter land that is not
posted
to retrieve a wounded animal that was lawfully shot, but
may not remain on the land after being told to leave.
• A person on foot may, without permission, enter private land
without a firearm to retrieve a hunting dog. After retrieving the
dog, the person
must immediately leave the premises. This exception
does not authorize
the taking of the wild animal.

I myself will not trespass to get an animal. Phone calls will be made first.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default RE: Trespassing to find a mortally wounded animal

I have had this happen to me before. I shot a doe and it died on the neighbors property. I went to their house to ask permission and was denied. Later I found out they retrieved the deer and butchered it in their garage. I don't know if they tagged it or not, but it did not go to waste in the woods. That doesn't makewhat they didright, but......
After that, I will admit, I have crossed the property line to retrieve a deer only because the owner was not home or answered the phone. So I left my information on their door stating I retrieved a deer from their property. I was contacted later by the landowner and was asked where I found it. Granted I took a chance on leaving my information and trespassing on their land, but the deer does deserve the respect.
The owner from anotherpiece of land that butts up against where I hunt is not alocal owner, so Icall him every year before the season to ask permission just in case.
I don't know what the law is here in IL but willlook into it. I only went from what I was told.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Indiana you can cross your property line to retrieve an animal
Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Bartender

Tony I have actually heard that animals havewentto wasteon the properties because the owner said no and the DNR did not get them for the hunter.
Now if the land owner was to go get that deer oncehe did he would then be ticketed for a illegal harvest for not having a licence and improper tagging.
I do not believe the DNR can trespass and get this deer.
UPDATE: See the following
ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Sure every hunter has the right to make best possible effort to retrieve a wounded animal but even in WI and MN you have to get the landowners permission. You can not just cross onto the property. You can how ever contact the DNR and they can make sure that you can get in. More times out of none, if you show up with enforcement, the landowner usually doesnt say much.

ORIGINAL: mconwa951

I was jsut watching Babe Winkleman and he shot a buck in Wisconsin and the buck crossed the property line and they went and asked the neighbor for permission to go get it and the guy said no. Now in MN and WI I know there is a legal right to go onto the property to recover the animal. Babe chose to obey the owners wishes and no follow the animala little while later (week or so)someone found it on this guys land less than 100yd past the fence.

I don't want to discuss the TV show thing we all know how people feel about that. My question is what would you do would you go get the animal or not.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

A preseason visit to your neighbors , a card with your cell phone number,their contact info are all easy things you can do to prevent any hard feelings or botched hunts.
It really is not hard to treat them with the same respect that you expect to be treated to.

Quick Reply: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.