Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Missouri Public Land? >

Missouri Public Land?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missouri Public Land?

Old 08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Spike

Default Missouri Public Land?

Anyone have any suggestions on a conservation area for a good bowhunt in mid October? We will be travelling from Alabama and have absolutely no idea where to start! Done a lot of research but there are so many areas of public land that we can't decide. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Missouri Public Land?

Lets see... peck ranch in southern missouri is absolutely great...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Mid Oct would probably be my least desirable time frame to hunt...but...

Check out the MDC website and start with the archery only lands, and especially those north of the MO River.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

I killed my avatar buck on Howell Island in 2006. He's a 10 point that netted 151 4/8. Howell Island isarchery only and is about 2500 acres along the MO river in Chesterfield, MO.Therearequalitydeer on it. In 2006, there was a 190" gross that netted over 170" killed on it.I missed a buck in the 160's the same day I ended up killing my buck. On another sit, I sawbuckin the 130's - 140's.

One problem...it may not be worth hunting this year due to the flooding this past spring/summer. I haven't been up there this year.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can go anywhere you want, I'd head up north of the "I-70 beltline" connecting St. Louis to Kansas City... that's where the bigguns are, because the terrain and agriculture mimick Iowa and Illinois so closely. Too many hills, pastures and cattle down this way on the Missouri side.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys! There are just so many public land tracts that it's tough to decide not knowing the area. How is the hunting pressure on the public land tracts during the week?We would possibly be interested in a private land pay hunt also if anyone knows of any that won't cost a fortune.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy south MO is a sleeper....
Old 08-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL... I'm sending 'em north, and Rory's sending 'em south. Methinks there's a conspiracy going on!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doubled 150

I killed my avatar buck on Howell Island in 2006. He's a 10 point that netted 151 4/8. Howell Island isarchery only and is about 2500 acres along the MO river in Chesterfield, MO.Therearequalitydeer on it. In 2006, there was a 190" gross that netted over 170" killed on it.I missed a buck in the 160's the same day I ended up killing my buck. On another sit, I sawbuckin the 130's - 140's.

One problem...it may not be worth hunting this year due to the flooding this past spring/summer. I haven't been up there this year.

Hey Derek - isn't that boat access only?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

No. On the east side of the island there is a dike/concrete and rock levy that crosses the chute. There is a parking lot right there. You just walk of the flood levy and you're on the way. Plan on walking a couple miles to avoid the other hunters.

Quick Reply: Missouri Public Land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.