Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tune your bow?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM

Default Tune your bow?

what does it mean when people say "tune your bow?" What is involved with tuning your bow?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM

Default RE: Tune your bow?

Simply put, tuning is everything a person does to ensure that their bow and arrow setup are working to their maximum efficiency. The extent to which someone tunes their bow is up to the individual and can be very involved or as simple (to some) as making sure they can hit a paper plate at 15 yards.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The bows efficiency is actually is the tranfer of energy from the bow to the arrow. A more efficient bow will transfer more of it's stored energy to the arrow (assumingthe same weight arrow) and will not loose energyin other forms such as vibration or noise. A heavier arrow will absorb more of the bows efficiency.

Tuning is getting the most out of an arrow flight as possible froma bow. It usually involves adjustments to the bow and the arrow to insure the best possbile flight. A straight flying arrow is optimal with fletchings doing as little as possible to stabilize the arrow. A well tuned bow/arrow combo will also help in forgivingness in flaws of the shooter.

If you are asking how to tune your bow, I would suggest starting by downloading eastons tuning guide.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup they summed it up pretty darn well there!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm not trying to argue with you guys.....but I don't see it as even getting the most out of your setup (or maximizing your bow's "efficiency"). I see it as getting true arrow flight out of your DESIRED setup.

I may choose a severely overspined arrow to achieve more arrow weight/KE/momentum. While likely not "optimal" for the bow's performance......it's "optimal" for my desired effect.

Tuning, to me, is achieving a desired effect.

If that's splitting hairs, I apologize.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Tuning to me starts with putting the bow to specs (i.e., A-A, CT, BH, etc.) then tweeking from there if necessary. I'm not a Crackers or other "super tuner" so factory specs is where I stop. Then I go thru papertuning, walkback, etc. to get everything right.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tuning is getting the most out of an arrow flight as possible froma bow. It usually involves adjustments to the bow and the arrow to insure the best possbile flight. A straight flying arrow is optimal with fletchings doing as little as possible to stabilize the arrow. A well tuned bow/arrow combo will also help in forgivingness in flaws of the shooter.

I'm not trying to argue with you guys..... I see it as getting true arrow flight out of your DESIRED setup.
I don't see that as argueing at all.

FWIW, my comments on efficiency were actually meant as a side note in response to another post.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I may choose a severely overspined arrow to achieve more arrow weight/KE/momentum. While likely not "optimal" for the bow's performance......it's "optimal" for my desired effect.

I have that exact setup. I liken it to "tuning" the arrow to the bow and then fine tuning the bow around that arrow to get the optimal performance of them working together. That is tuning to me, to get the arrow and the bow working together for the best performance of them both. Really, the same thing all of you guys are saying .
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, guys.

"Most efficient"is determined by your setup (draw weight, draw length, etc...). "Optimal" for the individual bowhunter's desired useage......can be quite different. He may not set up his bow with the most "efficiency" (per the bow's specs).....and there's nothing wrong with that.

My bow "might" shoot a 350 gr arrow 300fps. I might choose to shoot a 450gr arrow 260fps to achieve my "optimal" setup. Tuning for this would (or might be)be much different than tuning for maximum bow efficiency.

When "I" think of "tuning", though....I think center shot, first. I then think of vane clearance. If I can get to that point.....it's pretty much "personal preference", from there. Does that make sense?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO having a bow in tune shooting through center both vertical and horizontal is opimal. It may or may not be most efficient combination, but that's a different topic IMO.

Quick Reply: Tune your bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.