Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elevated shots

Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elevated shots

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

That stuff is BS in my personal experience and opinion.

I hardly ever range objects from my stand. I NEVER range from the ground. I just range the deer before I shoot.

If my rangefinder reads 40yards, I hold my 40yard pin dead on where I want my arrow to hit.
For most deer hunting situations in the midwest, yes. In the mountains it can make a much larger difference.

I also think that it is good to have reference points of known distances so you don't have to go through the exercise of ranging every deer. Doing that can be a real problem if it is a buck on the move.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason archers shoot over deer is because they don't use good form...

You must bend at the waist and feel the bow string with your nose (bend your neck as well)...If you don't bend your neck then you raise the rear sight and you will shoot high...Just like when shooting a 12 gauge at a turkey and you look up to see if you hit him...

Now...You can't just go get on a roof and practice...Suit up, get in your stand with your harness and practice...This also teaches you where to position your harness so that it doesn't get in your way...

I'd bet that I shoot just about the slowest compound bow on this forum, the angle doesn't bother me one bit, it ain't the speed, it's the form...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GregH

There is no added distance because of the elevation. You do not shoot the hypotenuse distance, just the distance from the deer to the base of your tree.
Exactly
Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I hardly ever range objects from my stand. I NEVER range from the ground. I just range the deer before I shoot.

If my rangefinder reads 40yards, I hold my 40yard pin dead on where I want my arrow to hit.
If you are 18 feet up in a tree,and you range your deer at 40 yds, that means it is 39.55 yds from the base of your tree....OF COURSE your 40 yd pin is going to work. Nobody ever said it wouldn't.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

So it sounds to me like there`s no differance at all in MN. hunting scinarios
Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hold where I want to hit and never had a problem yet!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

Correct...And...Now you are a better hunter because of what you read here!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

Correct...And...Now you are a better hunter because of what you read here!!!
[8D]Nope I have`nt changed a thing.Now,if if everyone was saying shoot 3 inches low or high then I might have learned something
Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's because the difference is VERY LITTLE,on relatively flat ground,especially as you get further from the base of the tree.

BUT,if you are in a stand on the side of a hill that is 40 feet high+ the stand height,then you might not want to shoot for what the rangfinder says,you will most likely miss.

So,it isn't bs,it is misrepresented at times and greatly misunderstood,but not bs.

Quick Reply: elevated shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.