Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-11-2003, 01:23 PM

Default RE: My buddy....opinion

krisken ,
I thought long and hard on your reponse to the above posting. I walked and thought now I am going to respond also.. I too was brought up with moral backbone and fiber, being a moral and ethical hunter know full well that there are people in our own sport that ruin it for others and I try not to be that person. I am a ethnic minority person whom was raised to be tolerent of others, sticks and stones ( you know ) and I have personally weather intolerance firsthand and never resorted to violence, but this is how I was raised, but these same loving, respectful grandparents and parents taught me : people have a god givin right to express thier feelings whether its right or wrong btu they have no right to put their hands upon you... I am an educated man whom has raised his children to work for everything they get , respect others and their things, and treat nature kindly..But again no one puts their hands upon you!!! I live just across the river from you in ulster county and have not run into a situation like the post describes, but I don' t know if you have a family/ children of your own but I think in 80% of the time human nature or animal nature will kick in even in the most tolerate persons... Even wild animals protect their young, I am willing to bet that in that instance you would have as i stated " beat down " that person, you and I both know its wrong but your protective nature kicks in. Its being human!!! to verbalize it makes you know its in you, the meekest people have done worse.. I see you to be a proud and honorable man and i respect you for that!!! I am a man who knows that it is wrong and would take no pleasure in beating anyone but i will protect mine if you cross the line, again I have been call awful things to my face and back and not resorted to hitting because of how I was raised words can' t hurt me but a 2 x 4 will..... please don' t judge the post people some of them a joking, some of them a just plain human!!! thanks for listen sorry for such a long post but this one tugged on my emotions.....
Old 03-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I was raised the same as you krisken.
I didn' t bother replying to that thread. I took it as a yarn If in fact the elder man pushed the kid , I' d bet big $$$ that the kid was in his face shouting obcenities. A twelve year old pounding the crap out of a sixty year old??? Come on!
Take it for what it' s worth!

I guess theres a big difference how alot of our youth are raised compared to how we were raised. I' ve heard kids talk down right nasty to adults who were total strangers. In cases like that I' ve wanted to do more than push them[>:] If their parents aren' t gonna teach them proper manners and good morals then someone should![:' (]
Old 03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at how many bows are growing up without the guidance of a Father or a positive male role model
This Generation is going to hell fast. sad but true.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:31 PM

Bigpapa, i agree! This generation is the future of hunting. Me having no father figure al throughout my life was difficult, as he lived 2blocks away..just didn' t care. But i was lucky enough to have grandfather on both sides that cared and taught me the ways of the out-doors. I believe that you are right to some extent, but thats why when im older i will undoubtedly become a mentor. The kids of these days needs to be taught to enjoy the planet that god gave us, needs to feel the tingly feeling experianced only by being out on opening morning madness! My buddy does feel bad about this though, he' s thinking about doing a formal appology to these peta people and knowing him he will.....I think thats a darn good thing for him to do, he was obviously riased properly to some extent, all of us ndo things in our youth that we are ashamed of, thats life.
-Jon
Old 03-12-2003, 01:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:14 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Krisken,

On this, you and I agree!

JRW
Old 03-12-2003, 09:11 AM

Krisken, I agree with you also in many of your opinions. But especially with the fact that the " backward ass hillbillys" damaging our sport. This term encompasses a wide variety of " bowhunters" . Case in point.

This past fall, there was an incident in near by MtVernon, IL. Here' s the senario.
A man had permission to hunt a particular tract of land along with others. In addition, another non-bowhunting family had permission to be on the property for camping, hiking, atv rideing, etc. The 14 year old son, riding his atv came upon the man hunting from a tree stand. Words were exchanged as to who had the " right " to be where. (Shouldn' t have came to this but...)
The " bowhunter" proceeded to threaten the young man' s life as in " If you don' t get the **** out of here I will shoot you" Of course the young man was not going to back down. The " bowhunter" got out of his stand, walked over to the boy and the avt, DREW HIS BOW, POINTED IT AT THE BOY, AND SAID " LAST CHANCE" . THEN SHOT THE BOY THROUGH THE CHEST!!!

The boy is still alive and recovering, the " bowhunter" was arrested and is being prossecuted. His defense is he didn' t mean to shoot him, just scare him. (Won' t go into the issues there).

Of course the media had a field day with the " bowhunter" , with bowhunting in general, hunting, and the mentallity of hunters. We all suffered for one individuals incompetence.

I write this to stress that we as individuals represent us as a whole. As with any group, the whole is judged by the actions of a few. We must, as the minority group (as compared to antis and non-hunters combined), keep in mind, that our actions will be scrutinized if given the opportunity.

We must control our emotions when in these situations and sometimes not place ourselves in the position to have to physically fight back. We must focus on the war as much as the battle at hand. Stand up for our rights but pick your opportunities.