Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Speed bows vs Block 4 x 4 vs Glendale Buck >

Speed bows vs Block 4 x 4 vs Glendale Buck

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speed bows vs Block 4 x 4 vs Glendale Buck

Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
New Sheriff

Default Speed bows vs Block 4 x 4 vs Glendale Buck

When I purchased my X Force TS I also picked up a couple new targets, a Block 4 x 4 and a Glen Dale Buck. I knew I would be shooting more than normal so I wanted to get the best target out there.

Couple of questions regarding these targets:

1. Are they not built for speed bows?
2. Aren't they rated for so many shots before pass thru occurs?
3. Can the mfgr. tell approx. how many shots have been put into the target.

The reason I ask this is because the other day while shooting I noticed my arrows going deeper and deeper into the targets and then just a few minutes ago while I was shooting I had three arrows go completely thru the target into my backstop. Now granted the passthru areas are the heart of the Glen Dale and the center spot on the Block but I would bet the farm that less than 300 (way less, probably more like 200) shots have hit these areas. I shoot them both about equally, I have the Glen Dale set up in my backyard and use the Block when I go to the ball field to practice longer distances.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Default RE: Speed bows vs Block 4 x 4 vs Glendale Buck

annika3 will be along sometime to defend his precious product (even though he claims he has NOTHING to do with the company anymore, but it's funny that he's on every Field Logic thread around here).

Let's put it this way. I was walking around a huge Gander Mountain this past week, and I overhead several people saying they'd never own one again while we were looking at targets. You don't even have to dig too hard around here on this forum to find very unsatisfied users with that product, from people complaining about busted arrows to pass thus way too early like yourself.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

I found a Glen Del Full Rut target 3 years ago for $80 that had both antlers the same side. No big deal I bought it and have shot countless arrows into it. It has the 4 sided insert that you can switch around but I have only shot one side the last 3 years. I am very happy with it, especially the price I paid for it. Now,mybow is not a "speed bow". The only time I ever chronoed it it shot low 260 range with my hunting setup. But I've never had a pass through and I never shoot broadheads into it. I leave it set up on my archery range with another 3d target, a bag and a broadhead target but I do try to cover it so its not in the weather so much. I think they would last longer that way.

I have neverowned a block 4X4, I assume its designed similar. I dunno, but I really like mine.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

None of the layered foam targets are all that great and wear out relatively quickly with only field points much less broadheads. Block, black hole, Glendel, and all the numerous nock off's and "store brand" targets.

Get a designated field point target and a designated solid foam (not styrofoam) broadhead target.

Spyderweb targets will stop thousands upon thousands upon thousandsof field tips and you will likely never have to buy another bag targetfor the rest of your life.
A target like the kompound kings from American Whitetail will work as well or better than any of teh layered targets at stopping broadheads and they aren't all that costly. If you do this you will save a good deal of money in the long run even though it costs a little more upfront.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the wonderful world of speed bows. They eat targets plain and simple. I'm currently using the Rhinehart 18-1, so far I like it but its only 3 months old. I'm going to look into a spyderweb, have not had any luck with the Morrell bag targets, they don't even last a year. I've owned the Block, The Cube and The Black Hole and they are all a waste of money IMO.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Block came out with a new target rated to 400fps. Elite?? I think that's what it is called.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll never buy a block target again! I'm not very happy with mine!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a Rinehart 18-1 and be done with it. These targets are the best ones going IMO. I'm not familair with the spiderweb ones, and they very well may be better than the Rinehart. The Rinehart comes with a 1 year warranty, any pass throughs after 1 year and they replace it, regardless of tip type and shot count. I was extremely disappointed with my Block target too, not I just use it a couple times a year for broadheads. There is a new one for speed bows, but you better go to the bank first for a second mortgage to buy the damn things.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ratus

annika3 will be along sometime to defend his precious product (even though he claims he has NOTHING to do with the company anymore, but it's funny that he's on every Field Logic thread around here).

Let's put it this way. I was walking around a huge Gander Mountain this past week, and I overhead several people saying they'd never own one again while we were looking at targets. You don't even have to dig too hard around here on this forum to find very unsatisfied users with that product, from people complaining about busted arrows to pass thus way too early like yourself.
Seriously Ratus, what is your problem. Did I take you ball away in second grade and you're holding a grudge. I PM'd you to discuss, PLEASE call me.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Get a Rinehart 18-1 and be done with it. These targets are the best ones going IMO. I'm not familair with the spiderweb ones, and they very well may be better than the Rinehart. The Rinehart comes with a 1 year warranty, any pass throughs after 1 year and they replace it, regardless of tip type and shot count.
I wanna try one of these so bad, I just don't need one now. But when I get the need for another I will buy one to see. What I'm interested in is shooting broadheads, usually target life is low when shooting broadheads.

Quick Reply: Speed bows vs Block 4 x 4 vs Glendale Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.