Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting w/out scouting >

hunting w/out scouting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting w/out scouting

Old 08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default hunting w/out scouting

Ok here is the situation. I got permission to hunt on some land back in ealy may. The only problem is that I deployed to the desert a couple days after I ended up getting permission. So of course I didn't have any time to scout the property. I will not get back from my deployment until after deer season has already started. Would you suggest laying off of this property for a year or just taking my chances and putting up a couple stands in some good looking areas. The other down fall is that I might not be around for hunting season at all next year do to possibly being sent to korea for a year. So what do you think?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting w/out scouting

Brother, when you get back, get your tags, if needed, and make your way out there. You wouldn't be a resident of Iowa would you? If so, all you need is your leave papers and ID to hunt.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:24 PM

First off, Thank You for all you do over there and if I was you I would give it a go I have had good luck just hanging a stand and hunting a property for the first time.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you are hunting, you are scouting. Pick likelyspots and hunt them. There'll be trails, hang your stands downwind and hunt. Adjust your stand location based on your observations.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Firstly, thanks for your service.

Secondly, if legal I would put up a simple gravity feeder and a few licks to keep them in the area. Oh.. and definitely hunt this year I don't think you have anything to lose my doing so.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I would buy a climber, and forget hanging stands. PM me if you need some inside info on that. I love hunting places unscouted. It's not as hard as you think. Learn to read tracks. Forget the scraps and rubs, learn the tracks. It's very easy to do go to a state park a few days in a row and scout for the deer. Go back the next day and study the tracks you saw for the deer the day before and look for new deer. Then repeat for as long as time allows. learn what new tracks look like, 3 hour old track, 12 hour,24, 36....It really does work wonders.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's been mentioned but when your hunting you can also be scouting.. Get a good climber if the trees are suitable or a nice hang on with some strap on steps... Go Hunting man. Maybe luck will be on your side..
Old 08-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I do already have a climber so I think that will be the route that I take for the first few times out then I will see what locations seem to work out the best and then possibly hang a stand in the area I like the most. I guess that is one nice thing about nebraska's bow season starting 15 sep and going until 31 dec!!! But again thanks to all of you for the help it is greatly appreciated, and it is my pleasure to serve for our great country, it is people like you guys that make it worth it!!! and AF hunter I live in nebraska and I am a SD resident
Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt it man. Ive hunted many new lands without scouting and it has paid off because there was no preasure at all.