Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NUTS!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NUTS!

So i did a little walking today, the beautiful weather had me out shooting the bow and I did a little scouting.

I figured out why I wasn't getting and good bucks on my camera. ACORNS!!!!!

The trees I fertilized last fall are loaded up w/ acorns, I have 5-6 big old white oaks and the tops are loaded w/ nuts, theres just a few starting to fall, and the ground is torn up. Found some reallly good size turds that I'm almost positive are from a big buck, plus I scoped out a few trees for climbing and entrance points to minimize scent dispersement.

I'm so pumped I cant wait to spend opening day in the oaks!!!!!! less than 4 weeks now!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NUTS!

how did you fertalize mature trees??? just curious.....the smiley face kinda makes me think something different....but not a bad idea to make your oaks a hot source if it really works...

i hunt in a patch of chestnut oaks....deer love em...and they seem to have a good drop every year...maybe 5-10 trees...but surrounded by white oaks and cherry and sassafrass trees...thats why its my honey hole!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

well good luck man. acrons are a deer magnet i hope you will have a good year
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

how did you fertalize mature trees??? just curious.....the smiley face kinda makes me think something different....but not a bad idea to make your oaks a hot source if it really works...

i hunt in a patch of chestnut oaks....deer love em...and they seem to have a good drop every year...maybe 5-10 trees...but surrounded by white oaks and cherry and sassafrass trees...thats why its my honey hole!
Not whatcha ya think, I just take a bag of 10-10-10 and dig a few holes around the base of the tree and fill em w/ fertilizer 3/4 of the way then cover it back w/ soil.

I do this in late summer, around about 8-10 oaks in a patch I like to hunt. I try to hit 3-4 patches like this so I have options...
Old 08-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

ORIGINAL: mauser06

Not whatcha ya think, I just take a bag of 10-10-10 and dig a few holes around the base of the tree and fill em w/ fertilizer 3/4 of the way then cover it back w/ soil.

I do this in late summer, around about 8-10 oaks in a patch I like to hunt. I try to hit 3-4 patches like this so I have options...
Fertalizer should be put all around the drip line (furthest reaches of the branches)of the tree/tree's in question. Not at the base. Use a feeding bar, and make holesabout 6'-8' feet apart, about 1'-2' deep.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use time release fertilizer stakes madefor nut bearing trees, just shove them in the ground around the outterperimeter. It works great.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....might have to try it...

how much fertalizer per tree?? probably be easy enough for me to dig holes around the area and get all the trees in the patch...the chestnuts grow close together in the spot id possibly do it...

do you see an increase of acorns from it??

probably hard to give a mature tree TOO much and burn it up....but in an area you know youll hunt for many more years, you could possibly turn a certain patch into the hot food source....exspecially in my situation...my problem is usually the chesnut oaks are eaten before the season ends because they hit them so hard...pretty sure chesnuts produce good every year too...so probably a better idea to fertilize them so they produce mroe yearly....hmmmm now you got the wheels turning....wish i could get the tractor in there id just dump the manure spreader in the patch lol...
Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you about hunting the oaks. I hunt one spot that has some HUGE white oak trees. The deer hit them all day. I love hunting that spot, never a dull moment!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

They will pass upmost everything else to feast on white oak acorns. That's gospel!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, not on the base, I put em like 4-5' from the base, only put like 1/2 lbs in the holes, usually 3 holes equially spaced around the tree. Then I also spread it by hand around, under the drip line...