Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder Hits

Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Default RE: Shoulder Hits

The only time and I mean the only time I will should shoulder is if I have a 160grain 30-06 nosler partition loaded up. I have shot alot of big Kansas deer with this set up in my 06 at 200 yards the bullet will go through the close side shoulder through the vitals and then go through the off side shoulder. Then at that point the bullet normally will stop right against the hide on the off side shoulder. This is with a rifle, a hot hand load and if that gets the job done a arrow in no way can get the job done.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

While I agree with the premise of you post I think you are leaving out a very important element that applies to both mechanical and fixed blade broadheads.

If your bow is not well tuned and your arrows are not hitting square you are going to have decreased penetration. I think this is where the ball often get dropped with Mech. broadheads, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the product. It is an education issue for bowhunters.

Joe Bowhunter that doesn't have much technical knowledge sites his bow in and shoots it all summer. He screws on a Muzzy or two and they hit way off of the field points. Too often the answer is to go buy a pack of Mech. heads because they will hit the same as his FP's. He isn't going to get the penetration he should because the arrow is not flying correctly and not hitting the animal square. Many guys have the same issue with a fixed blade because they never shoot them until hunting.

I think this accounts for a great deal of the penetration issues.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree on all points, Mez. But it's AS believable a scenario for the guy you mention (shooting the fixed blades) to simply adjust his sights to match his BH POI.

In either instance....the end result is likely the same. Band-aid on a potentially much bigger issue.

Good point.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I agree on all points, Mez. But it's AS believable a scenario for the guy you mention (shooting the fixed blades) to simply adjust his sights to match his BH POI.

In either instance....the end result is likely the same. Band-aid on a potentially much bigger issue.

Good point.
Very true. I've seen it first hand with an antelope.

125gr Thunderhead shot out of a 70lb duallywith heavy aluminum arrows. The kid hit it on the scapula, the thin part of the shoulder blade, with his set up it should have went right on through. He called me to help him find the goat. We eventually got the antelope. The first arrow penetrated the muscle and only the tip of the broadhead was through the scapula.

I had him shoot the bow in my yard and what do you know, the arrows were sticking in the target at a 45 degree angle in the horizontal plane. He said his FP's and broadheads wouldn't shoot the same so he just sighted in for the broadheads to hunt with.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

NO broadhead, NONE, will go through the "knuckle" of the shoulder.

Gospel.

Get real. Better add a lot more specifics to this line.

Why? BH meet "knuckle" of shoulder......the "knuckle" wins EVERY time.

I think its pretty plain and simple, unless you have a "magic BH" that will go through the "knuckle" of the shoulder you ain't busting through with a BH.

LT