Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taxidermy quality >

Taxidermy quality

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taxidermy quality

Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Taxidermy quality

Thats my next mount, I love that style, your taxidermist did a excellent job!

ORIGINAL: early in

This guy cost me $500. I like the job he did.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks a lot Tony, I'm pleased with it.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

No problem thats a great pose and its a natural pose and thats what I go for, something that you actually see deer do. I guess yours would be a good seeking or chasing pose or nose up the @ss pose

ORIGINAL: early in

Thanks a lot Tony, I'm pleased with it.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a closer view of him. I was real happy with the detail on the face. I like the eyes/eye lashes and the wiskers.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You certainly do not want to get cheap in that dept. There are quite a few hobbyists out there that charge half of what a good quality mount is worth, and you will regret in the long run choosing them. A quality whitetail is currently worth at least $450 in time and materials and quality of tanning, with the latest price increases. Research it and know ahead of time what you are looking for and who you will use. It will save you a lifetime of regret. You have to look at it forever.
Having a friend that does nice work is good too. There are a good deal of hobbyists that do great work and really don't charge for their time like they should.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 AM

I paid $375 for my mount this year. The guy usually charges $400, but since im still in school he gave me a deal! For a good quality mount you are going to pay $400 to $450 in my area!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember a good Taxi. doesn't mean a good business man/woman.
Example;
I left my 2007 - 8 pt. in Texas with a guy we hunted with and who does blue ribbon Taxi. work (2nd place @Dallas/Fortworth Taxi. show).
He does his own tanning, so he can't blame anyone for his schedule. For the record, he's charging $250 for a shoulder mount
(very cheap, as he just started 2 years ago FULL Time, but has been doing Taxi. for a dozen years)!

His initial delivery for our groups (3 total) mounts was to be shipped to us during "spring time" and we each gave him $100 deposit back in Nov.
I called him in Jan. to go over the pose I wanted and sent him pictures, etc... He says it looks like March or April to complete and would order the form next week.
So I call him @ the end of March and he says a few more weeks, so in good faith, we send the balance of our money too him (he really was a great guy).
Guess what? No Deer! So I call @ the begining of May and ask if he received our money and when will the heads ship this time? He says 3-4 weeks.
~ No Deer ~ So I call end of June and he assures me that he will have them to us by the end of July the latest.
~ No Deer ~ So I call him last week and he tells me there done, but is waiting to get professional pictures to help create his portfolio for marketing.
I certainly understand the marketing aspect and know our mounts must be wonderfully done, but word of mouth is good for marketing also - right?
What do you think I'm gonna do whith my next mount when I go back to Texas?
That's right, send it to my guy in NH who will do equally a good job but cost me $250 more, oh-well, live & learn. My guy delivers on time - Moral of the story!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

paid 400 for mine this year....think he went up to 450 though....hopefuly have pics shortly...aughta be done any day now if its not done....gotta get home and give him a call...

lots of guys do cheaper work in the area...some comparable priced work...i shopped around and hes the guy i liked and his work is the work i liked....we bacame decint friends...i even helped him track a buck when i dropped mine off last year....hes always taken care of me on the price best he could...i understand he gotta make some money and dont expect him to do things free...but pretty sure his price is 450 now...

Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 AM

I pay $385 for a full shoulder

Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the style mount of yours except for the mouth cut on the top one, looks to be a little un natural. other than that great looking mounts. Ive never seen a deer frown before

ORIGINAL: oakcreek

I pay $385 for a full shoulder

Quick Reply: Taxidermy quality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.