HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Taxidermy quality
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Edcyclopedia
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermy quality

Just remember a good Taxi. doesn't mean a good business man/woman.
Example;
I left my 2007 - 8 pt. in Texas with a guy we hunted with and who does blue ribbon Taxi. work (2nd place @Dallas/Fortworth Taxi. show).
He does his own tanning, so he can't blame anyone for his schedule. For the record, he's charging $250 for a shoulder mount
(very cheap, as he just started 2 years ago FULL Time, but has been doing Taxi. for a dozen years)!

His initial delivery for our groups (3 total) mounts was to be shipped to us during "spring time" and we each gave him $100 deposit back in Nov.
I called him in Jan. to go over the pose I wanted and sent him pictures, etc... He says it looks like March or April to complete and would order the form next week.
So I call him @ the end of March and he says a few more weeks, so in good faith, we send the balance of our money too him (he really was a great guy).
Guess what? No Deer! So I call @ the begining of May and ask if he received our money and when will the heads ship this time? He says 3-4 weeks.
~ No Deer ~ So I call end of June and he assures me that he will have them to us by the end of July the latest.
~ No Deer ~ So I call him last week and he tells me there done, but is waiting to get professional pictures to help create his portfolio for marketing.
I certainly understand the marketing aspect and know our mounts must be wonderfully done, but word of mouth is good for marketing also - right?
What do you think I'm gonna do whith my next mount when I go back to Texas?
That's right, send it to my guy in NH who will do equally a good job but cost me $250 more, oh-well, live & learn. My guy delivers on time - Moral of the story!