Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

during the rut!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Default during the rut!

What is your go to stand location hunting during the rut? Do you like hunting pinch points, bedding areas, ridges, funnels, fense rows, ect during the rut? Just like to know what you prefer! I like to hunt funnels, any where deer have to go through i will be there, also i have had some luck hunting near bedding areas looking for cruising bucks!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Default RE: during the rut!

Im going to be hunting one of the areas on my property that has a lot of trees, I know that bucks roam around in there during the rut.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you like hunting pinch points, bedding areas, ridges, funnels, fense rows, ect during the rut?
This spot has all the bold, underlined, covered

It also opens up into a great little staging area.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Do you like hunting pinch points, bedding areas, ridges, funnels, fense rows, ect during the rut?

You have no idea what I would give to have a spot like that, there is not that many trees on my whole property.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

BT....that's the "norm", here. I rarely climb the same tree twice in a season. We're blessed, that way.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jeff...is it just me or is thatstand sight also at a transition between hardwoods on the left and conifers on the right? Either way it looks like a great travel route.

At one of my properties I'll be hunting the edge of the bean fields for a while. Once we get closer to the rut I plan on moving about 75-100 yards in the woods on a funnel/ridge that is eat up with rubs and scrapes. The deer come out of the neighboring property (where they be most of the time) and travel the funnel to the bean field. The neighboring property is not hunted and it was clear cut probably 10 years ago so it's a prime bedding area.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff...is it just me or is thatstand sight also at a transition between hardwoods on the left and conifers on the right? Either way it looks like a great travel route.
Yep. It's a natural breakline (a VERY old logging road) between hardwoods and thick evergreens. It's on the outside corner (25yds behind me in that photo) of a horse pasture fence (no horses). It's also the breakline between the parks sysem and the land I can hunt. The old logging road runs parallel to the pasture fence for about 250yds behind me....and separates the pasture from the evergreens. Bedding area inside the evergreens.....and lots of mast trees to draw in the does in front of me.

I shot both my 8 pointers (one from this very tree....7 days before this photo) and one about 40 yds directly in front of wherethis photo was taken.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

my go to spot is a huge stand of oak trees. some of these trees take three people to reach around. near an old coal mine shaft. bucks always cruise through it coming from the fields in the morning cause it borders a major doe bedding area.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like hunting funnels, doe bedding areas or converging hubs(mapping trophy bucks taught me this) and i have had the most success at the hubs
Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

During the rut i like to hunt a certain ridge in the woods across the roadfrom my house. There was a logging road running across it about 10 years ago, but it has grown up alot since then. There are trails running every witch way and i have my stand up about 20 feet above the deer. I saw a dandy buck walk along it last year but i had my tree stand in a ravine about a 100 yards away [:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.