Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gray Wolf Woolens?  What's the fuss all about? >

Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

I have wolfskin and lets just say I am not all that impressed.

I will take a Fleece over it anyday of the week
Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think some of the stuff is pretty specialized and yes very expensive. [:-]

Remember a couple things with this stuff, the garments are handmade by a guy in the USA one at a time to your specs using the best materials you can find.
You guys think the wolfskin is nice? You should see the WOOL garments.[:-]

I certainly don't have money flying out my butt so I weigh my purchases carefully. I have finally seen the light on good quality garments though in a great pattern to boot.

I check out ebay, several classified sites and the returns section of the Gray Wolf site itself for deals.

I bought my Fall Gray WOOL , comformax lined jacket used from a local guy (thing looks brand new and like it was made for me) for $200 and is EASILY the single nicest , best made piece of hunting clothing I've seen.
This is truly a jacket that will outlast me so I hope I have a young XL relative worthy of it when I croak.

I alsohave a donated pair of pants and some hats from Greg (Thanks bud!) and a couple beautiful used lined wool and wolfskin vests in FG and SG and even the headcovers.

Value is a tough thing to put a finger on because it's in the eye of the beholder and their disposable income.

But if you can find a deal on any of this stuff I can personally vouch for the fact that it's worth every penny you can justify. sort of like really good optics. Once you own a pair you wonder exactly how you ever lived without them.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey I said that and meant it, Fran......I wouldn't pay (on a personal level) what most are asking.

But I gotta tell ya....I keep a list of quotes from people.....and reference it, occasionally. I'm gonna add this one to that list.

Value is a tough thing to put a finger on because it's in the eye of the beholder and their disposable income.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would I pay what "they're" asking, though?

Nope.
Not even if it was 1% better than the "bargain" stuff.

Hmmm, must be all about the money.

Who the heck has "disposable" income?

LT
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I just dropped $280 on Enigma camo and I am thinking that is about my max! That clothing is Wolfskin also! I am excited to try it out! The pattern is very nice too! But no way will I spend more than that on clothing!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Vote with your dollars..

The big challenge is finding something that is as durable as cotton but not cotton.. Fleece is okay but can be very hot.. I love wool and I have a pair of surplus pants, but not in a camo pattern and too heavy for the early season. There are not many options out there in a non-cotton material that is versatile enough to layer so that you can wear the same garment on hot days and layer for cold and still not soak up all of the moisture within a 200m radius..

I did make an unlined graywolf wolfskin purchase and that was after far too many years of hunting in bargain cotton predator camo.. I hunt in the fall in the Eastern Slopes of the Canadian Rockies and cotton is the last thing you want to be wearing when the weather turns. I don’t have disposable income and nobody here in Alberta gives a crap about what you wear in the field. I test drove the wolfskin material by purchasing a $20 hat and was impressed with the material’s ability to breath, repel rain and not soak up the water like cotton and dry quickly.. My set is basic pants and jacket (unlined) and about the same price as an enigma set up.. I can guarantee you that what I have will last a very long time. I am happy with my purchase and if that changes, you’ll hear about it here.

Sadly if you want to buy American made, then it will cost more than Chinese made..

I certainly respect all of the opinions on this forum concerning gray wolfand if cotton works for you in your part of the world, then I do agree that this purchase would not be warranted...

On a slight threat drift…..

If you took quicksilver’s original post and replaced Filson with Graywolf Woolens, I would 100% wholeheartedly agree.. I have been extremely disappointed by the few purchases I made (on sale).. That company doesn’t know how to make a quality seam. All of the seams have pulls in the material and the stitching. Have a close look at brand new garments on the hanger at your local store. You can get better quality stuff from Old Navy or Walmart.

By the way I didn't vote because there wasn't an non-sarcastic option that reflects my opinion.

Cheers.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Whitehorn

I didn't vote because there wasn't an non-sarcastic option that reflects my opinion.
Your prayers have been answered!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wolfskin is the T I T S, but I'd never pay the prices they ask for it. I own a pair of Wolfskin pants that I got out of the clearance bin and the material is really good. It tough and durable, but still comfortable. Like I said though, the list prices on those things are obscene and anyone paying top dollar for them better have a very specialized reason for getting it because if you're an everydayhunter your application for some of that stuff is pretty limited.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Compare Graywolf stuff to any hand-made gear made in the USA. Now, is Jeff really that out of line? I know what he produces and the quality he puts into every piece of equipment he produces. He's not out of line.

I have worn Wolfskin for 8 or 9 years now. I can get anything I want from pretty much anyonefor free if I "worked" it. I continue to pay major money to continue to wear Wolfskin over any othergear on the market. Here is my reasoning.

1. Available in both Predator and Intrusion Treeline - best camo patternyou can buy - not available too many other places
2. Waterproof & actually breathes
3.Dead Quiet
4. As comfortable as PJ's
5. Very lightweight and compressable
6. Jeff is a great guy - and actually hunts like I do
7. Completely customizeable. I get double knees, special pockets, and collars.
8.Custom made to your body - where else can you get this?

Some guys spend over $100.00 on a quiver that I look at and say "My Kwikee is $20.00 and works better". Hunting equipment is a matter of supply and demand. Jeff's demand is lower because the quality and costs are high. It's not for every budget.

BTW - Lined Wolfskin pants are $269.00. Wool is crazy expensive, especially Jeff's wool because it is 100% wool, not a cheap blend like most of the other guys use. You get what you pay for.

When you hunt everyday, you can't put a price on comfort on-stand. It only took me about 12 years to spend some money on Gray Wolf, and it's the best investment I ever made. I still have the original stuff I ordered from "Marc" who used to own Gray Wolf, and my cameraman still wears it everyday during the season.I'vefinally replaced myoriginalcoatthis year. It's 8or 9 years old and is still in great condition, notears, and everyzipper and button still works flawlessly. Why did I get a new one? My cameraman doesn't have a nice coat, so he'sgetting my old one!

I could potentially work a sponsorship deal with a bigger company that could offer WKP more than Jeff is able to. Some things make me a better hunter, Gray Wolf is something that actually does this! Keeps me on-stand longer and Predator is BETTER than blob!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Compare Graywolf stuff to any hand-made gear made in the USA. Now, is Jeff really that out of line? I know what he produces and the quality he puts into every piece of equipment he produces. He's not out of line.

I have worn Wolfskin for 8 or 9 years now. I can get anything I want from pretty much anyonefor free if I "worked" it. I continue to pay major money to continue to wear Wolfskin over any othergear on the market. Here is my reasoning.

1. Available in both Predator and Intrusion Treeline - best camo patternyou can buy - not available too many other places
2. Waterproof & actually breathes
3.Dead Quiet
4. As comfortable as PJ's
5. Very lightweight and compressable
6. Jeff is a great guy - and actually hunts like I do
7. Completely customizeable. I get double knees, special pockets, and collars.
8.Custom made to your body - where else can you get this?

Some guys spend over $100.00 on a quiver that I look at and say "My Kwikee is $20.00 and works better". Hunting equipment is a matter of supply and demand. Jeff's demand is lower because the quality and costs are high. It's not for every budget.

BTW - Lined Wolfskin pants are $269.00. Wool is crazy expensive, especially Jeff's wool because it is 100% wool, not a cheap blend like most of the other guys use. You get what you pay for.

When you hunt everyday, you can't put a price on comfort on-stand. It only took me about 12 years to spend some money on Gray Wolf, and it's the best investment I ever made. I still have the original stuff I ordered from "Marc" who used to own Gray Wolf, and my cameraman still wears it everyday during the season.I'vefinally replaced myoriginalcoatthis year. It's 8or 9 years old and is still in great condition, notears, and everyzipper and button still works flawlessly. Why did I get a new one? My cameraman doesn't have a nice coat, so he'sgetting my old one!

I could potentially work a sponsorship deal with a bigger company that could offer WKP more than Jeff is able to. Some things make me a better hunter, Gray Wolf is something that actually does this! Keeps me on-stand longer and Predator is BETTER than blob!
That is nice, but I can kill deer in a 100.00 fleece suit

Quick Reply: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.