Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 deer 1 sit?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 AM
New Sheriff

Default RE: 2 deer 1 sit?

Yep I did it twice in my "numbers" stage of hunting.

Once was a spike then a doe 10 minutes later. I heard the spike crash just out of site but it was only 20 minutes after daylight so I stayed on the stand and shot the doe. They both died within 45 yards of each other.

The other was a doe then an 8 pt 20 minutes later. I shot the doe right at daylight and again, heard her crash. I was just about to get down when I saw the buck slipping thru the woods. He came in and got shot. I found the doe right where I thought she would be but had trouble finding the buck. He made it about 150 yds before he piled up.

I also shot a doe later that afternoon. It was the last day of our bowcamp and I had been skunked until that day. My buddies were giving me a hard time until I poured in on with 3 deer in 1 day. I ran out of room in my coolers and had to give all of my food away to make room. Dragging, skinning, and quartering 3 deer in a day is something I do not want to do again, much less the butchering later on that week.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dad used to do it all of the time but I never have....had the chance just never did it...
Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

it is here in Indiana i do not think it is in Indiana if i can i will
mine will go to the butcher so no processing issues.
only thing i see about doing it is here you would need to buy two license before you went hunting one for each deer
ORIGINAL: Kamil

I'm not sure if this is legal in many states.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I've done it and don't think I'll do it again. Alot of work for one man to do, field dress and load in the truck. Lucky for me I'm a stud.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Its twice the drag !!
EXACTLY!!!! Too damn much work for me. Especially in a state where the entire CARCASS minus entrails has to be checked in in ONE piece!!!! I'm beat after one, especially in some of the high-hill places I hunt with literally no ATV access!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

well it is flat here but some of my spots are from 300 yards in to 1/2 mile in
i am buying a game cart so i do not think it would be a issue
but my truck as a lift kit and the tail gate seats at the height of my gut and i am 6.5
I think i will carry a couple of 2x6 to use as a ramp
ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Its twice the drag !!
EXACTLY!!!! Too damn much work for me. Especially in a state where the entire CARCASS minus entrails has to be checked in in ONE piece!!!! I'm beat after one, especially in some of the high-hill places I hunt with literally no ATV access!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it several times with the rifle and once with themuzzleloader in MD/WV. Last year, I doubled on does with the bow in NC. You have to make sure the first one falls before shooting the second with a bow.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had the opportunity many times but never choose to do it. I butcher my own meat and like to get at it and do it right. Messing with two at once would just be a lot of work and trouble. About 5 years ago I was on my way home to Maryland from a bow hunt in NY. Len called and ask, where are you, I really need some help. I told him I could be to his woods in about 40 minutes. When I got there he had 3 deer down. There are only two in this picture as the doe he shot went down off a big hill and was easier to access from a different road. I snapped this picture just before beginning our first drag. These deer dropped about 10 yards apart. Total time from shooting the first doe to the last arrow was about a minute.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Site Bouncer

I've done it a few times. The last time was a few years ago when I killed a buck with a funky antler that was just beginning to grow into his nose! I'd seen him a few times/days earilerand lamented about shooting him. Well after I did (he only went a few yards) I was just about to climb down whenI saw adoe walking toward me so I put one in her too. She also dropped in sight.

I've never shot at a second deer unless I've seen the first one go down. If I can't see the first one dead I don't shoot.

Some pics.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Site Bouncer

Close up of the antler......

Quick Reply: 2 deer 1 sit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.