Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey?

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Turkey?

Let me first start off by saying that i know nothing about turkey hunting. I would love to be able to still get out and hunt after deer season here in Ohio, i have seen a few turkey in my deer woods and am thinking off taking it up. First off how difficult is it compared to deer hunting and i am talking about bow hunting turkey? All i know is that most turkey hunters that i have seen hunt from the ground and i have heard that turkey have amazing eye sight. Fill me in on your thoughts about hunting turkey with a bow.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Spike

Default RE: Turkey?

Get a good blind, wear black, shoot expandables, aim for the wingbutt, bring lots of arrows....and a book.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a roomy Ameristep, wear black, shoot NAP gobbler getters, and be patient! Its lots of fun and very addicting.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

First I need to clarify that you are talking bout fall turkey hunting. Giving the time of the year i'll asume that. and I have to agree with the two previous suggestions. But key in on fall food sources for the turkey for your setup. dont just go out and sit down. during the fall you can scout turkeys just as well as deer. their habits shouldn't change that much during the fall. Now spring is a totally different story.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not find it any more difficult to bowhunt turkeys compared to bowhunting deer. You still have to be in the right place at the right time, and you still have to remain still. You do not have to worry about playing the wind or scent control so that is a little advantage.
Here is where you should be aiming at when hunting with the bow.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

I should have clarified, i am only interested in spring turkey. During the fall i am far to focused on deer, also waiting until spring would give me the time needed to study and learn about turkey hunting before i go out there and waste my time.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

now your talking my ball game. Spring turkey hunting with a bow is great.

getting up before daylight setting up on the edge of a cattle pasture, daylight starts to peak over the morizon just enough for you to see your decoys, an owl hoots to its mate and then the woods come alive with the sound of music. Gobblers sounding off to show dominance and try to persuade a hen. Daylight hits and you cluck a couple of time and you hear the faint sound of flapping wings coming down. as you look out your blind you see a mature tom coming into view of your decoys. as he sees the jake deke he comes out of full strut and runs in like a torpedo. as he hits your setup he slows down and blows up like a beach ball. Gobbling at every sound you make. each one sounding like thunder.
you quitely draw back and settle your pin on the upper part of his wing and you release your last breath and THUMP. Its over almost as quick as it began with a trophy tom flopping on the ground.

Sorry for the long post but i love spring turkey hunting.