Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions

Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default Questions

I got the fever today and started shooting my bow at different yardage. Is this just me or what do you all do out there... I shot 4 arrows in a row then went and got them and shot 4 more. By the end of my shooting, half of my arrows were either missing most of the fletchings from being skined by the broadheads and several of my braodheads were damaged by hitting each other insdie the BLOCK. Now I have to get them refletched and replace the broadheads. Do you all use different arrows for practice than you do hunting or what? Do you then practice some with the hunting arrows? Do you shoot them one at a time?..... Please halp me out. I guess it is good in a way because they are all in a very tight pattern at all yardages.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Questions

Here is a simple fix.....shoot at different dots. Don't group shoot with broadheads, that's asking for trouble. If you shooting 4 arrows, shoot at 4 different marks. The "group" size will be evident if your hitting your mark.

Try putting 4 1" squares on your target but I assume its a Block, doesn't it already have different marks to shoot at?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I don't shoot groups from 30yds on in for that very reason, and that's with field points. I wouldn't shoot groups anywhere with broadheads. Do what Rob suggested, and simply shoot at four different spots spread out on the target.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot broadheads everytime. Just a few times to figure which head I'll use for the season and then as the final ramp up near season opener. Other than that it' field tips at different spots!

Again I generally keep half my arrows unshot, until season ramp up. I then make sure they shoot good with the broad heads I'm gonna hunt withand they go in the quiver with each marked 1,2,3... They are not practice arrows they are my hunting arrows.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Yep, I don't shoot groups from 30yds on in for that very reason, and that's with field points. I wouldn't shoot groups anywhere with broadheads. Do what Rob suggested, and simply shoot at four different spots spread out on the target.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM

I have 8 arrows I use for hunting. They weigh within 3 grains of each other with broad heads and vanes ready to shoot. I spin them to assure the arrows and the broadheads are straight.

I have them numbered and I shoot several secessions before hunting season. I shoot them all at different spots, different yardage and record on a written chart the location of each hit. I usually shoot 2-3 rounds at each secession 16-24 arrows. If I am not getting the tight group I need. I do some tuning until I do get a good group.

After a few secessions I am able to tell which arrows are giving me the best results...usually all pretty close to the same point of impact.

I use heavy insulation for my target and screw the broadheads off before pulling them out to save on target wear. I use enough layers of insulation so the broadheads penetrate about 6" through the board.

Then I put away the dull replaceable blades, put on sharp blades and I and ready and confident.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Here is a simple fix.....shoot at different dots. Don't group shoot with broadheads, that's asking for trouble. If you shooting 4 arrows, shoot at 4 different marks. The "group" size will be evident if your hitting your mark.

Try putting 4 1" squares on your target but I assume its a Block, doesn't it already have different marks to shoot at?
X2