Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Spine Shot

Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 AM

Default The Spine Shot

Was watching Versus this morning and I seen 2 spine shots where they were happy and claimed that it went right down, it is still alive but they take the camera fo so they hunter can give a speech about thanking the outfitter and then saying how good kansas is for hunting while the deer is on the ground suffering. I hope I never make a bad shot like that but if I do a follow up shot is the next thing in my mind.

Just venting over all TV Hunting shows.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Spine Shot

I see those and they bug me every time. finish off the deer before you start your speech. ugh!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I watched a guy this morning on vs shoot over a does back, then under her belly, confused she just kept getting closer to him then he spined her. A real nice display of archery.Next daya buck came in and he shot it in the fricken leg, got lucky again and got another shot and double lunged him. Nice shooting pro staffer.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RackLuster

I see those and they bug me every time. finish off the deer before you start your speech. ugh!
The deer was finished off hours, if not days before that speech was recorded. TV hunting shows are put together in pieces, so it is not always as it appears. With that being said, I am not a big fan of the spine shot either. I have seen a couple of shows where they were claiming they were aiming for that shot. I will be more than happy with my double lung shot.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you mean. I have seen them on shows in the past also. Personally, I have had it happen to me in the past and I always get a sick feeling in my stomach.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Spike

What really is the difference between a spine shot, lung shot, leg shot etc if the deer dies.... Do you hear what ur saying. I'm not being ugly by no means, but has anyone ever talked to a dying deer who has been shot? If it dies does it really matter about the shot? All of us kill deer for fun not because we have to do it to survive. To most people that is inhumane in itself. If u make a double long shot and the deer runs 200 yds and then dies do you honestly think that he doesnt feel pain? Don't take this reply as ugly, just look at it from a real life stand point...
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Downsouth13

What really is the difference between a spine shot, lung shot, leg shot etc if the deer dies.... Do you hear what ur saying. I'm not being ugly by no means, but has anyone ever talked to a dying deer who has been shot? If it dies does it really matter about the shot? All of us kill deer for fun not because we have to do it to survive. To most people that is inhumane in itself. If u make a double long shot and the deer runs 200 yds and then dies do you honestly think that he doesnt feel pain? Don't take this reply as ugly, just look at it from a real life stand point...
PETA

I heard if you use a sharp enough broadhead the animal doesnt feel it, How would you like to be shot in the spine while the shooter gloats about it? The animal has to have a chance at escape for it to be taken truly fair.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Spike

Like I asked before, when was the last time someone actually had a deer tell them that a sharp broad head doesnt hurt? Do you think they take off running bcuz and keep running until they die bcuz of that "tingly" feeling in their chest?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Spike

All I'm saying is that a shot is shot no matter where it is. In the spine, heart, lung, where ever. Pain is pain. Death is death. Its the same as people saying that a person who dies in their sleep feels no pain. When was the last time someone asked a person who died in their sleep did they feel anything?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Downsouth13

i understand what you are getting at but the reason we aim for the heart and lungs and use razor sharp heads instead of spine shots and unethical setups is because we want to put the animal down as quickly and efficently as possilbe with the least amount of suffering.

Quick Reply: The Spine Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.