Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time to see...

Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Time to see...

I haven't done it but certianly would do it for exotics, maybe to take a younger hunter on a management hunt early season,I was thinkingof takingmy boys when they were 10 even though hunting age in WI is 12. I'd take an elderly hunter on one for elk, maybe some other reasons. Darned expensive meat so not for that reason.

I shoot placed phesants for dog training. I don't see the difference you still have to make the shot.

LT "never" is a really long time.....

Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM

I went on a fenced hog hunt about 10 years ago. I think it was a couple thousand acres in Tennessee. I went with a group of about 10 people and actually, I did not hunt, but went along to take pictures.

The pluses:
Great comraderie, great food, lodge owners were great hosts. Hunted with dogs and I just love watching trained hunting dogs work no matter what type of hunting. The dogs were great because they were really well socialized too. That makes it all the better. We walked A LOT and got lots of exercise. The first day we worked hard, but never got a shot. The second day, three people in my small group were able to take a boar.

The minuses:
Even though we and the dogs walked A LOT and put forth a lot of physical effort, when it was all said and done, every kill that I saw was in visible range of the fence. Basically, the dogs chased until they were able to stop some hogs near the fence. I did not like that.

I definitely had a good time and would not fault anyone who wanted to do that kind of hunting, but it is definitely not something I would do again. I'm glad I went though so I could see what it was like first hand and not just from hearing about it. High fence hunting is not for me.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hogs are the only animal I would hunt in a pen. Why you ask? For the meat I say. I'll shoot a hog in a barnyard pen for the meat. They have to be put down before they are butchered.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

LT "never" is a really long time.....
So what if it is!! I would never do it either.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

My buddy spent an outrageous amount of money to hunt a high fence operation in Ohio last year. What a joke he ended up killing a 145" 8 point but couldnt eat any of the meat because it had been tranquilized within that week. I kid you not, the "guide", who was amish,actually asked my buddy to drive him to a farm several hours away to pick up a 190" buck that a dentist was going to shoot the following day. They drove there, tranquilized it and drove it back to the farm. My buddy left the following day and as of then it hadnt been shot but i'm assuming it was.My buddydid this soley for the horns. I make fun of him every chance i get. I call it the "Cambell Buck" because it was canned just like the soup.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll Spill

Last winter, I was invited on a high fenced pig hunt. Not pigs, as in boars...Pigs. Domesticated pigs.

This took place in Northern MN. It costed 175$/2 person team. It was actually a contest, with twenty toal teams.You and you're partner take off and go after 3 pigs in a 40 acre fence. Two of the pigs were fair game, the other a "penalty pig" adding an additional 5 min to you're total time. You each take three arrows, every arrow launched you add 2 min to you're total time.

I went for a few reasons:

A) I wanted a pig to test out the new roaster my best friend and I made.
B) a pro-staffer from a reputable company invited us
C) There was a good cash prize (300$)
D) I figured it'd be good practice
E) The pigs were going to slaughter, anyway.

A few reasons I won't go back

A) The people there weren't my cup of tea. Actually, it was the first time I'd met all of them, and I hope I never meet them again. (Besides the dude who invited me)
B) Long drive
C) No sport involved, too easy, almost boring.
D) Been there, done the high fence thing, confirmed my prior thoughts on the whole deal.

We ended up winning the "contest" by a land slide. I didn't have much fun, but I got to roast a free pig. It was delicious. No more fences, for me.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Let me also add, I wouldn't call it hunting, I'd call it trying to shoot a pig in a pen.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Hogs are the only animal I would hunt in a pen. Why you ask? For the meat I say. I'll shoot a hog in a barnyard pen for the meat. They have to be put down before they are butchered.
Rob let give you some advice

NEVER shoot a farmers hog without permission, who knew they were so damn lound after getting stuck with an arrow[&:] From what my mothers remembers I squeled louder

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
bigcountry

I did once, and after was totally disgusted with myself. They asked me if I wanted the cape. I shook my head and said, "nope". Everybody was shocked.But it was about the only chance I will get to hunt with my brother. Andafterabout a decadeof tension and fighting between him and I, it was worth it to hang with him, and see him happy and actually take a break in life and heal our relationship a tad. I will continue to hunt bird preserves. Real good practice for ducks, and fun training the dogs.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I have. Because it's legal and I can.

For the record I did not kill a deer. Ranch was 8000 acres.

This thread alone, due to the poor response tell me that most of you are talking out of your asses about hunting high fence. If every one of the holier than thou hunters had hunted a legitimate high fence operation and not a 30 acre pen, then you would have a right to run your mouth about them. I would bet that most of you would come back having eaten humble pie.

If you hunted one of the 30 acre pens expecting to have a fair chase hunt well.......that's all I have to say about that.

Quick Reply: Time to see...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.