Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them? >

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

i am for them any attempt to make bigger bucks the norm is a good thing. but i also see the point in now everyone has to be a "trophy hunter".

what about the people who poach.. is this going to be taken more seriously. i know guys who shoot at least 5 bucks a year and none of them are tagged. this in my area is as much if not more of a problem then AR.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

So its OK to tell a guy that he CAN’T shoot ANY buck, until he shoots a doe.
BUT it’s NOT OK to tell him that he CAN’T shoot a buck with X number of points.
Makes perfect sense. [&:]
What would be fun is to put 1 million PA hunters in NC, and let them blast away atherd for a few years
Old 08-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

What would be fun is to put 1 million PA hunters and let them blast away at NC herd for a few years
Wouldn't take but a week.[:-]
Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those that are against it ...... why not allow some of the 1 1/2 year old bucks to live another year? Isn't it true that many yearlings (1 1/2) would make most antler restriction standards??
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: Germ

What would be fun is to put 1 million PA hunters and let them blast away at NC herd for a few years
Wouldn't take but a week.[:-]
Exactly

Jim's old enough to tell you days of seeing a lot of deer in PA. I bet 90% he saw were does Use to be here in MI you would see 100 deer in NLP. 2 of them would be bucks[8D]

Our Cabin in NLP is right in the middle of DMU 452. The DNR killed almost all the deer in 452. In late 90's we did a number on the herd. It got to the point seeing a deer track was a good day.

8 years later the herd has come back a bit, and the deer are bigger(bucks and does). Guys are seeing bucks with antlers bigger than they have in years. I am talking 50-60 years.

There is enough natural food now where the deer are not eating themselves out of food. Second deer are in good deer habitat, and this is a big one. What most don't get is when you have an over population deer will live anywhere. Hunters get into a habitat of hunting poor deer habitat and seeing deer. Once the numbers come down the deer(this is a shocker to some[&:]) move and live in good deer habitat

MI out doors went to a guys 20 acres who was whining about not seeing any deer anymore. They were not coming to his feeder, he had 20 acers of pine trees and sand
Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be for them here in NC probably 3 points per side would be nice, you see other states benefit from having them and then some of the 1.5 year olds would make it through the year
Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

In the big woods of PA the need for herd reduction was obvious a very prominent browse line as far as you could see. No where near enough timbering was or is taking place.
Our so called experts have come up with a plan to cut just 1% of the forest land they control,its call a 100 year plan by them.It called utter ignorance by any one with middle school or higher education. Timber is a harvest able crop just like corn OR soy beans.A twenty to forty year plan would benefit both wildlife and the agencies that own the timber.Pole timber is worthless as wildlife habitat yet thats how its being managed.[:@]

In north western PA we have some of the best deer habitat in the country,we have hard wood ridges covered with oak,we have impenetrable swamps and bottom lands that deer can thrive in. The area is comprised of 50 % woodland and 50% crops or pasture according to the states experts.Yet our herd is managed just like the big woods pole timber producing areas in the middle of the state.[:'(]
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970

I would be for them here in NC probably 3 points per side would be nice, you see other states benefit from having them and then some of the 1.5 year olds would make it through the year
If NC had AR's how much do you think poaching would increase?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hell it is pretty bad as it stands, folks hitting the fields at night and picking the bucks off the beanfields? Never thought of that, but would still be for the AR's if you see how many small bucks are taken... why should a 3inch spike, if you want meat shoot a doe
Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970

Hell it is pretty bad as it stands, folks hitting the fields at night and picking the bucks off the beanfields? Never thought of that, but would still be for the AR's if you see how many small bucks are taken... why should a 3inch spike, if you want meat shoot a doe
Thank you

Some seem to forget DNR is not the Department of Hunter Satisfaction

Quick Reply: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.